News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Last night was boring even in a tactical sense.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on July 10, 2014, 05:10:48 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2014, 04:10:20 AM
I did notice it was a relatively clean game and the there was little diving.

The ref did miss a very blatant foul on Sneijder, of the "inbetween yellow and outright red card" category.

An Oranje card?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 03:59:28 AM
Austrian news site called yesterday's fixture "ein von Taktik geprägtes Match" (a match dominated by tactical considerations) which is sports journo shorthand for, "Both teams played very defensively and it was boring as fuck."
'A day for the purists.'
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

'A game of two halves'.

Syt

One advantage of playing Argentina in the final: all of Brazil will root for Germany. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

The Mengeles especially.  :ph34r:

I notice Mike Tyson is out defending Luis Suarez. Who needs enemies, eh.

derspiess

Quote from: Maladict on July 10, 2014, 05:08:45 AM
I don't know. If your team is playing in the knockout phase a game like this does have a lot of tension, because you know a single goal will probably be the end of it, for both sides. So it's pretty much a 120-minute sudden death game. With the stakes as high as they were, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

If you have an interest in either team, that's how it is.  But it's still pretty draining.  The 120 minutes seem like 240.

All the stores are slashing prices on World Cup stuff.  We got an Argentina jersey for Tommy last night for $7 and I think I'll go get that Netherlands t-shirt I saw the other day. 

I planned to watch the third place game at home, but we got invited over to some German friends' house to watch it & I was put in a spot where it would have been rude to say no.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2014, 08:28:39 AM
I don't know. If your team is playing in the knockout phase a game like this does have a lot of tension, because you know a single goal will probably be the end of it, for both sides. So it's pretty much a 120-minute sudden death game. With the stakes as high as they were, I couldn't take my eyes off it.

If you have an interest in either team, that's how it is.  But it's still pretty draining.  The 120 minutes seem like 240.

A commentary from yesterday: "After a match of the century we now have a match that seems to last a century."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2014, 08:28:39 AM

All the stores are slashing prices on World Cup stuff.  We got an Argentina jersey for Tommy last night for $7 and I think I'll go get that Netherlands t-shirt I saw the other day. 

I planned to watch the third place game at home, but we got invited over to some German friends' house to watch it & I was put in a spot where it would have been rude to say no.

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy any World Cup merchandise.  I just watch the games.  That's it.  No merchandise, no gambling, and I don't even eat or drink anything when I watch the games. 

Grey Fox

Think of it has Anime for the regular people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2014, 09:51:09 AM
Think of it has Anime for the regular people.

I don't pay for anime, and I don't buy anime merchandise.  It is free entertainment for me, just like World Cup on TV.  So I still don't understand why there is a market for World Cup merchandise. 

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 07:02:35 AM
One advantage of playing Argentina in the final: all of Brazil will root for Germany. :P

Having rooted for Brazil all tournament I guess I'm supposed to root against Argentina... but I don't think I can do it.  Not for the Germans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2014, 09:53:19 AM

I don't pay for anime, and I don't buy anime merchandise.  It is free entertainment for me, just like World Cup on TV.  So I still don't understand why there is a market for World Cup merchandise.

Don't tell me you've never bought a Status Quo shirt.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2014, 09:55:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 07:02:35 AM

Having rooted for Brazil all tournament I guess I'm supposed to root against Argentina... but I don't think I can do it.  Not for the Germans.
I can, after yesterday's game.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2014, 09:55:06 AM

Yes, it is a choice between two evils.
One that doesn't deserve it but is far away, and the other that kind of does deserve it but is way too close.
I'd rather give it to the Belgians than these two*

*not really. Fuck Belgium.