Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Admiral Yi

Surely a person didn't actually lay that bet.  :huh:

Monoriu

I tend to think that is a photoshopped screenshot as well.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on July 09, 2014, 02:16:49 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2014, 01:56:53 AM
Still unbelievable.

It really is. One for the ages.

It's one of those surreal games that come about once in a generation that you have to watch to (dis)believe.

I thought the 4-1 and 4-0 victories against England and Argentina in 2010 were awesome and for the record books, but this really puts everything else to shame.

Also, considering that Lahm, Schweinsteiger and a few others will probably not play in the next WC it would be a deserved crowning of everything they did since 2006 if they win it on Sunday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2014, 02:48:34 AM
Also, considering that Lahm, Schweinsteiger and a few others will probably not play in the next WC it would be a deserved crowning of everything they did since 2006 if they win it on Sunday.

I wouldn't go that far.  :P

Maladict

Not sure which side to pick in the pool for tonight's game.

The third place game pick, however, not so hard.  :D

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28223066

QuoteMatch Facts

This is the first time a team have scored seven goals in a World Cup semi-final.

This is the first World Cup game with eight or more goals since Saudi Arabia v Germany in 2002 (0-8).

No team had previously conceded five or more goals by half-time in a World Cup semi-final.

This is Brazil's biggest defeat in World Cup finals history, surpassing their 3-0 loss to France in the final in 1998.

Germany scored two more goals in this game, 7, than England did in their past two World Cups combined.

Brazil's first shot on target was in the 51st minute.

Brazil have never before conceded more than five goals in a World Cup game (winning 6-5 against Poland in 1938).

The game equals Brazil's all-time biggest margin of defeat, when they lost 6-0 to Uruguay in 1920.

It is the first time since 1938 that Brazil have lost a World Cup semi-final, having progressed in their previous six.

The previous biggest defeat in a semi-final was in 1954 when Germany beat Austria 6-1.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Most surprising fact is that Austria has ever been in a WC semi final.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on July 09, 2014, 03:53:41 AM
Most surprising fact is that Austria has ever been in a WC.

fixed.

Norgy

Quote from: Liep on July 09, 2014, 03:53:41 AM
Most surprising fact is that Austria has ever been in a WC semi final.

In the the 1930s, Austria had a very strong football side, dubbed "Das Wunderteam". It was coached by Hugo Meisl, who was also one of the main instigators behind Europes' first international club tournament, the Zentropa cup.  :smarty:
The star player Mattias Sindelar refused to play for Germany in 1938, and was found dead the year after in a hotel room.  :ph34r:

Zanza

Most of the German players have already lost EC final/semi-final, WC semi-final, CL final/semi-finals so I hope they know that his win is meaningless if they don't win next game.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2014, 03:49:07 AM
Germany scored two more goals in this game, 7, than England did in their past two World Cups combined.

LOL
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

If Klose scores one more, he has scored the same number of goals as England have in the last four world cups where both Klose and England took part...

Josquius

The Brazilians taking Neymar's shirt onto the field with them to sing the anthem- what did it for them?
In retrospect....it seems to have psyched them out...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The match also set a new TV viewership record: 32.57 million, breaking the record of the 2010 semifinal (31.1 million). It's now the most viewed TV broadcast in Germany.

Market share: 87.8%.

And yes, the top ten most viewed broadcasts in Germany are *all* football matches.
—Stephen Jay Gould