2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Pedrito

Quote from: Norgy on July 02, 2014, 06:36:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2014, 06:15:46 PM

82 was not a glorious year for the Krauts, was it?  :lol:

They reached the final, and had a few outstanding players. A very experienced midfield enforcer in Paul Breitner, Schumacher in goal (who was usually very solid) and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, one of the finest forwards of his generation. Then they met Italy, a team that had perfected the so-called catenaccio. A very solid defence, and one single forward who could win games: Paulo Rossi. I think he was banned for a few seasons due to irregularities. Italy was the most destructive team to have won a World Cup, I think. Their tactics were rotten and dirty, yet I have some grudging respect for say Gentile, who was a destroyer of quality players in almost every game. He had Maradona and Zico in his pocket.

...and Italy won beating the best Brasil's side since 1970, young Maradona's Argentina, and a solid if uninspired (how odd...) Germany :yeah:
Yes, Rossi was back to played football just months before the start ofthe WC, he was suspended two years for irregular betting.
He was chosren instead of Roberto Pruzzo, ROma's forward and Serie A's Top scorer for a couple seasons. Roma fans are still grudging about it, but history tells the coach was right.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

DGuller

Quote from: Norgy on July 02, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
Certain players have gotten away with stuff on the pitch that would send you right in the local lockup if it happened on the street.

Like Harald "Toni"Schumacher against Patrick Battiston in 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTOnClKCJc

Notice the nice Winston ciggie signs. Close-up photo:

Schumacher basically punches him.
I wonder if he's related to Michael.  They seem to have the same relationship with ethics.

Syt

Apparently a FIFA official complained about all the drunkards in the stadiums.

Which is rather funny.

Because selling alcohol in stadiums in Brazil was banned by law a few years ago, because of violent and lethal incidents.

And FIFA insisted the law be repealed for the duration of the World Cup (in favor of their "beer" producing sponsor, obviously), despite resistance from, well, everyone in Brazil.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Maybe distributing pot to counter the drunktards is the answer.  :hmm:

Syt

German foreign minister Steinmeier in Berlin, watching the game Germany-Ghana with his wife (right) and Ghana's ambassador (left). He seems to be the only one who's happy to be in this photograph.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Landon Donovan has been having a moan in the press, criticizing Klinsmann's tactics saying he wasn't attacking enough. :huh:

Dude just needs to stfu and get over the fact he couldn't fit into the team. I can see why Klinsy left him at home. What a fucking loser. Shameful.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

I will cheer for Germany tonight.

crazy canuck

At least Germany didnt have to go through Belguim to get to France this time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 04, 2014, 08:55:49 AM
Dude just needs to stfu and get over the fact he couldn't fit into the team. I can see why Klinsy left him at home. What a fucking loser. Shameful.

:yes:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2014, 10:04:23 AM
At least Germany didnt have to go through Belguim to get to France this time.

They might have to go through a French player as in 1982 (hopefully not). :)

jimmy olsen

Landon Donovan has been having a moan in the press, criticizing Klinsmann's tactics saying he wasn't attacking enough. :huh:

He's right though
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

ESPN hired him as an analyst for the World Cup, he is getting paid to express his opinion. :huh:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Home in time, steak in the pan, beer opened.

Let the game begin!

I think Germany will lose, necessitating a change of avatar. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould