Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2014, 05:32:43 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:27:28 PM
So the whole argument is that they buy less beer and take up a whole seat. :hmm:

That seems remarkably short sighted of your sports owners, investing solely in the now rather than the next generation.

If their parents are unable to afford tickets for them, what makes you think they will be any different?  :hmm:

Why do you think that a parent who could only afford two adult tickets but who has two children won't see those children grow up to be able to afford two tickets each as well? :hmm:

People who can barely afford tickets to a basic* sporting event should probably be using that money for something else.

*aka everyday not special event type
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:36:17 PM
Why do you think that a parent who could only afford two adult tickets but who has two children won't see those children grow up to be able to afford two tickets each as well? :hmm:

It's more likely they'll continue going as a family, just less often.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
It seems to me that pulling on a jersey to pull someone off the ball is never part of a legitimate action.

It isn't. Yet it has become part and parcel of the game as it is played.
Look at corner kick situations. Inside the box, there's a scramble and lots of holding and contact.
To my recollection, only once has a penalty ever been given for shirt-grabbing inside the box, and it befell Norway against Brazil in the 1998 World Cup. It was so rare that Moroccans still insist we paid the referee and signed some huge dried cod contract at favourable prices with Brazil, as the Moroccans went out.

If you look up my avatar, Claudio Gentile, on YouTube, there'll be plenty of ugly defending to be seen.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2014, 05:18:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 05:13:13 PM
Here is a question.  In a few games I saw players grab the uniforms of the other players to pull them off the ball.  In one case the player being grabbed almost had his shorts pulled right off.  In each case the ref called a foul but there was no card.  Why isnt such a blatant violation carded in all cases?

I don't think it's seen as a dangerous play and is judged like a normal foul. Normal tackles are usually also a blatant violation of the rules.

Normal fouls can be carded in certain situations though, like the professional "i'll just stop this counter attack from ever happening" foul.

except that normal tackles are arguably part of the game.  If I understand correctly the difference between a foul and a good tackle is if the defender got to the ball before making contact.  The analogy to basketball is that every foul is intentional in the sense that the player meant to do it but most fouls are commited while attempting to do something that was a legitimate action - eg trying to block a shot, take a charge or get a steal.  It seems to me that pulling on a jersey to pull someone off the ball is never part of a legitimate action.

I agree. And actually, in FIFA's rulebook it says that it should be cautioned. I guess it's just so frequent the refs really can't enforce it consistently.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on July 02, 2014, 05:43:38 PM
It seems to me that pulling on a jersey to pull someone off the ball is never part of a legitimate action.

It isn't. Yet it has become part and parcel of the game as it is played.
Look at corner kick situations. Inside the box, there's a scramble and lots of holding and contact.
To my recollection, only once has a penalty ever been given for shirt-grabbing inside the box, and it befell Norway against Brazil in the 1998 World Cup. It was so rare that Moroccans still insist we paid the referee and signed some huge dried cod contract at favourable prices with Brazil, as the Moroccans went out.

If you look up my avatar, Claudio Gentile, on YouTube, there'll be plenty of ugly defending to be seen.

And if you want an EPL example of defenders grabbing during corners, every liverpool game I watched last year had their defenders mugging people.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU SKRTEL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Soccer is a man's game and if you can't handle a little argybargy shirt tugging and a few blows to the midsection then you should gtfo imo
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2014, 05:57:45 PM
Soccer is a man's game and if you can't handle a little argybargy shirt tugging and a few blows to the midsection then you should gtfo imo

I was expecting Skrtel or sakho to start knifing people. It was that blatant.

Admiral Yi

NFL and big name college football are going to sell out every game; they have no need to cultivate fans. 

Norgy

Certain players have gotten away with stuff on the pitch that would send you right in the local lockup if it happened on the street.

Like Harald "Toni"Schumacher against Patrick Battiston in 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTOnClKCJc

Notice the nice Winston ciggie signs. Close-up photo:

Schumacher basically punches him.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 02, 2014, 06:03:44 PM

Rodgers is an enabler and should be prosecuted by the crown authorities or whatever backward legal system they have in that third world country.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2014, 06:08:50 PM

Rodgers is an enabler and should be prosecuted by the crown authorities or whatever backward legal system they have in that third world country.

Rodgers should be fined for letting Stirling have that haircut.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on July 02, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
Certain players have gotten away with stuff on the pitch that would send you right in the local lockup if it happened on the street.

Like Harald "Toni"Schumacher against Patrick Battiston in 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTOnClKCJc

Notice the nice Winston ciggie signs. Close-up photo:

Schumacher basically punches him.

They mentioned this on TV, wondered what it looked like.

82 was not a glorious year for the Krauts, was it?  :lol:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 02, 2014, 06:10:36 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2014, 06:08:50 PM

Rodgers should be fined for letting Stirling have that haircut.

Stirling is alright by me, he's impregnated like twenty women or something. Good kid.

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2014, 06:15:46 PM

82 was not a glorious year for the Krauts, was it?  :lol:

They reached the final, and had a few outstanding players. A very experienced midfield enforcer in Paul Breitner, Schumacher in goal (who was usually very solid) and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, one of the finest forwards of his generation. Then they met Italy, a team that had perfected the so-called catenaccio. A very solid defence, and one single forward who could win games: Paulo Rossi. I think he was banned for a few seasons due to irregularities. Italy was the most destructive team to have won a World Cup, I think. Their tactics were rotten and dirty, yet I have some grudging respect for say Gentile, who was a destroyer of quality players in almost every game. He had Maradona and Zico in his pocket.

Admiral Yi

I meant from an ethical point of view.  :sleep: