News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Children pay full rate in America? That really, really sounds odd to me.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

Here is a question.  In a few games I saw players grab the uniforms of the other players to pull them off the ball.  In one case the player being grabbed almost had his shorts pulled right off.  In each case the ref called a foul but there was no card.  Why isnt such a blatant violation carded in all cases?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 03:59:23 PM

They take up a whole seat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2014, 05:14:50 PM

This.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

And they don't buy much beer.

Liep

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 05:13:13 PM
Here is a question.  In a few games I saw players grab the uniforms of the other players to pull them off the ball.  In one case the player being grabbed almost had his shorts pulled right off.  In each case the ref called a foul but there was no card.  Why isnt such a blatant violation carded in all cases?

I don't think it's seen as a dangerous play and is judged like a normal foul. Normal tackles are usually also a blatant violation of the rules.

Normal fouls can be carded in certain situations though, like the professional "i'll just stop this counter attack from ever happening" foul.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

I stopped buying a season ticket when I turned 18 and had to start paying full rates.

There are also reduced rates for seniors and the unemployed besides minors as well, at least over here.

Norgy

It would be instantly red carded if the defender was the last defender between him and the keeper.
But it's an annoyance and something that should really be struck down on a lot harder.

Believe me, it was worse before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NhFoXT9s8

:lol:

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2014, 05:14:50 PM

So the whole argument is that they buy less beer and take up a whole seat. :hmm:

That seems remarkably short sighted of your sports owners, investing solely in the now rather than the next generation.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Ed Anger

One thing I noticed that help soccer in Columbus was when they got their own tiny baby stadium to play in, instead of playing to a mostly empty house at Ohio Stadium.

Now it looks impressive, instead of looking sad and pathetic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:27:28 PM
So the whole argument is that they buy less beer and take up a whole seat. :hmm:

That seems remarkably short sighted of your sports owners, investing solely in the now rather than the next generation.

If their parents are unable to afford tickets for them, what makes you think they will be any different?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2014, 05:32:43 PM

If their parents are unable to afford tickets for them, what makes you think they will be any different?  :hmm:

Why do you think that a parent who could only afford two adult tickets but who has two children won't see those children grow up to be able to afford two tickets each as well? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Valmy

It is.  But it is universal so far as I can tell.  I have to buy adult tickets to get my kids into college games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2014, 05:18:32 PM

I don't think it's seen as a dangerous play and is judged like a normal foul. Normal tackles are usually also a blatant violation of the rules.

Normal fouls can be carded in certain situations though, like the professional "i'll just stop this counter attack from ever happening" foul.

except that normal tackles are arguably part of the game.  If I understand correctly the difference between a foul and a good tackle is if the defender got to the ball before making contact.  The analogy to basketball is that every foul is intentional in the sense that the player meant to do it but most fouls are commited while attempting to do something that was a legitimate action - eg trying to block a shot, take a charge or get a steal.  It seems to me that pulling on a jersey to pull someone off the ball is never part of a legitimate action.

Norgy

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 02, 2014, 05:29:44 PM
One thing I noticed that help soccer in Columbus was when they got their own tiny baby stadium to play in, instead of playing to a mostly empty house at Ohio Stadium.

Now it looks impressive, instead of looking sad and pathetic.

Nothing's worse than a lot of empty seats and a crowd you could fit into one bus.
I've seen some of the maintenance bills for even small stadiums and they cost a lot to run. If a team can't pack it full for matchday, it's probably not: viable.
This, I believe will be the future for soccer in many places in Europe. Rising player wages (as there is no wage cap), less crowds and bankrupt clubs.