News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2014, 12:41:10 PM
Also hipsters and other "cool kids" have taken over the sport here.

Hipsters and "cool kids" being sports fans?  Organized sports fans?  Color me skeptical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Playing football is more and more the province of the banlieue in France. Most French "fans" hardly reflect the national squad.
Historically, it has always been seen as working class, except perhaps in the South-West, rugby (union) land. French Catalans are somewhat into rugby league.

In Portugal, it's popular in all classes cf. Villas-Boas of aristocratic origin.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2014, 12:57:07 PM

Hipsters and "cool kids" being sports fans?  Organized sports fans?  Color me skeptical.

It's not basketball, baseball, football, or hockey.  That's enough for hipsters.

FunkMonk is right. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Eh, "taken over" is a bit much admittedly. I'll say that a lot of those types of people have flocked to the sport over the past ten years because they identify it as being different and therefore OMG COOL. Much like a fad.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 01:09:02 PM
It's not basketball, baseball, football, or hockey.  That's enough for hipsters.

FunkMonk is right. 

Well I just know that everytime something bad about FIFA or whatever breaks there are tons of those dudes there going 'this is why you should reject all organized sports man' and so forth.  Never seen pro-sports hipsters before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2014, 01:09:28 PM

Eh, "taken over" is a bit much admittedly. I'll say that a lot of those types of people have flocked to the sport over the past ten years because they identify it as being different and therefore OMG COOL. Much like a fad.

Maybe but, as pointed out, the soccer fan over here is pretty hard core.

FunkMonk

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2014, 12:50:05 PM
Punch in the gob, no teeth lost.

The price range from the incredible in the English Premier League, somewhat lower on the continent. Say if you're a family of four (which seems to be the norm of the family stands), a match in Norway's premiership sets you back around 100 USD. Slightly less. When I watch my local 3rd tier side, I pay around 15 USD.

Thing is, you don't get much crowd violence on the stadium. The casuals (the violent ones) usually do their thing pre-match and post-match. The all-seater policy adopted all over the board for the top leagues have really changed the crowds along with price hikes. Before, during the age of actual standing, getting hit in the head or peed on was part of the experience.  :D

Valmy

Admiral Yi

What do you mean by incredible, Norgeswiener? 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2014, 11:40:34 AM
Small and puny Canada, by moving its soccer / hockey slider to full hockey, wins at one and loses at the other. The strong and mighty US, by trying to win at both and keeping its slider in the middle, loses at both.

I don't think our slider is in the middle, we do pretend to care about hockey and consider the NHL as part of our "Big 4" sports leagues.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2014, 01:42:59 PM
What do you mean by incredible, Norgeswiener?

Incredibly high.
A lot of hardcore fans buy their season tickets.
Arsenal charged 985 pounds for a season ticket in 2013. That's expensive. The cheapest was Manchester City at 299.
Arsenal's most expensive single tickets seemed to be around 126 pounds.  :wacko:

Here's a run-down of the various clubs' pricing for last season:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jun/19/premier-league-ticket-prices-club-charge-the-most

Of course, the Emirates Stadium in London is quite impressive too.

alfred russel

One of the things that you guys do that is a really good idea is charging much lower prices for season tickets for kids.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

One of my wishes in life is to go to the Emirates and see Arsenal play.  :bowler:

Norgy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2014, 03:19:52 PM
One of the things that you guys do that is a really good idea is charging much lower prices for season tickets for kids.

It makes good business sense. Someone has to take them.  :sleep: