News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Of course they are fit, Soccer coaches don't do anything, they got time to hit the gym.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I guess a major difference is that most (all?) European Football coaches have been professional players themselves.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2014, 09:07:23 AM
I guess a major difference is that most (all?) European Football coaches have been professional players themselves.

All those fat American dudes did as well.

Well ok I don't know about Weiss.  But all of them at least played in College I think and only Parcells there is a pro coach.  It is very rare to have a College or pro Head Football coach who was not at least a College Player.  But we are talking decades after those guys hung up their shoulder pads.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

There's really no excuse.  These coaches have access to some of the best strength & conditioning professionals in the country as well as a kick-ass gym in their workplace that is open to them 24/7.

That said, fat coaches are a distinct minority.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Yeah, we could cherry-pick pics of American football coaches and soccer coaches a get a set that makes the American football coaches look more fit.  Soccer has the most fit-looking game officials of any major team sport, though game officials in American football are probably as a group are a lot more fit than the look (they tend to be a good bit older than those in soccer, but still have to do a lot of running during the games).

Baseball, of course, rather imfamously has the least fit game officials, though they're not as bad as they used to be.  Twenty years ago, the typical baseball umpire looked about like Mangino.

Admiral Yi

You never see a flabby basketball ref.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2014, 10:31:16 AM
You never see a flabby basketball ref.

Stripes + black pants hide a lot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Nigeria should've had a penalty and France isn't playing well.

derspiess

If Argentina wins tomorrow and the US pulls something out of its ass tomorrow, things will get interesting in my house.  I've already got Tommy on the US side and Lola randomly yells "USA! USA! USA!" but then she'll just say whatever you tell her to.

Norgy

I've put money on the US winning tomorrow.  :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

Norgy

derspiess

Ironically, I may be watching the USA-Belgium game tomorrow at a Belgian restaurant.