News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I noticed a McDonald's commerical where it is rather obviously supposed to be a family/set of friends watching the world cup--some supporting the US, and some Mexico. Only the Mexican supporters didn't have anything explicitly saying "mexico", just green.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

I guess West Virginia had enough wop coal miner descendants for the Italy jersey to win out.  But it was probably like 10 or 15 sold. 

"Look at me.  Ah'm Eyetalian"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2014, 09:02:42 AM
I noticed a McDonald's commerical where it is rather obviously supposed to be a family/set of friends watching the world cup--some supporting the US, and some Mexico. Only the Mexican supporters didn't have anything explicitly saying "mexico", just green.

If the old man loves Mexico so much, he ought to go back there :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

The German jersey I can understand, but the overabundance of the Brazilian one can only be explained by bandwagonism.

derspiess

Bandwagonism as in the World Cup being there?  I think it pre-dates that.

Admiral Yi

I think you guys might be confusing relative frequency with absolute numbers.  Soccer jerseys of any kind are not that common.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2014, 09:42:01 AM
The German jersey I can understand, but the overabundance of the Brazilian one can only be explained by bandwagonism.

There are a decent number of Brazilians living here.

I'd have thought there would be more Italian. It seems on the very rare occassions I see national team jerseys they are often Italian. Not sure I understand why there is so much German. Very few take pride in ethnic German heritage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2014, 09:02:42 AM

If the old man loves Mexico so much, he ought to go back there :angry:

Meh, if he really loved them he would actually have a jersey and not a generic green shirt.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2014, 10:19:43 AM
Not sure I understand why there is so much German. Very few take pride in ethnic German heritage.

They're a consistently strong team.  And if you're a hipster Euro-loving ball of light wanna-be, you might as well go with Germany.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 10:33:35 AM

They're a consistently strong team.  And if you're a hipster Euro-loving ball of light wanna-be, you might as well go with Germany.

We have more hipster euro loving balls of light wanna bes than i thought. Et tu, Dakotas?  :(

Even though they have famously struggled, I would have thought England would give the Germans a run for their money.

Grey Fox

The saddest thing about not Sweden in this year WC is no Zlatan.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Warspite

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2014, 10:33:35 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2014, 10:19:43 AM
Not sure I understand why there is so much German. Very few take pride in ethnic German heritage.

How ironic, because a Euro hipster ball of light wouldn't touch a Germany kit (Chile is the current cool team, though they're becoming less obscure by the game)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

There's a ton of Brazil fans in the states because even the least knowledgeable American knows that "Brazil is good" so they root for them.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on June 19, 2014, 11:12:03 AM
How ironic, because a Euro hipster ball of light wouldn't touch a Germany kit (Chile is the current cool team, though they're becoming less obscure by the game)

I would have thought a Euro hipster wouldn't wear a soccer jersey at all.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2014, 11:15:59 AM
Quote from: Warspite on June 19, 2014, 11:12:03 AM

I would have thought a Euro hipster wouldn't wear a soccer jersey at all.

they would wear it ironically, man.