News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Still, Spain had a great run, winning three big tournaments in a row (Euro 2008, WC 2010, Euro 2012). Only European Champions to defend the title. A team for the ages and to be immortalized in legend and song.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2014, 04:12:47 PM
Still, Spain had a great run, winning three big tournaments in a row (Euro 2008, WC 2010, Euro 2012). Only European Champions to defend the title. A team for the ages and to be immortalized in legend and song.

True. This year's results will be forgotten soon enough.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2014, 02:29:37 PM
Hurrah for the Country with sorta the same flag as Texas!

It was nice of Texas to have that giant Chilean flag on the field before the football game.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

None of you picked Chile to win this? Really?

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 18, 2014, 04:09:46 PM
So which players of Spain's golden generation will retire now?

I guess Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Villa. Perhaps Torres, Iniesta...

Xavi and Casillas are done for, as well as Villa, who was on borrowed time already. Alonso said that his continuity will depend upon his fitness, so it's a signiticant question mark. Torres...Torres...he's only 30 but seems to be in a non-stop decline for several years already. Iniesta should continue.

Much will depend on the coach. I can't see Del Bosque continuing after this, so his successor will have many difficult questions to answer.

The Larch

Pujol was the smart one, he retired just in time.

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on June 18, 2014, 04:40:12 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 18, 2014, 04:12:47 PM

True. This year's results will be forgotten soon enough.

Yeah, they went out with their heads bowed in accepted defeat. France though, their meltdown will be remembered for many decades.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Cameroun #3 is taking the baggy jeans fashion to football shorts. :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: Maladict on June 18, 2014, 04:41:46 PM

I couldn't imagine it when I made my picks. Still ahead of you in the pool, though.  :bowler:

Norgy

Yeah, this is going to be ugly. Mbia's already at the "Yeah, and your mother too" state of anger.

Norgy

For Yi:

Ustashe 1 Former German Colony 0

Maladict

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2014, 05:06:40 PM

I couldn't imagine it when I made my picks. Still ahead of you in the pool, though.  :bowler:

You can change your picks until the game starts.

Liep

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2014, 05:06:40 PM

Not for long, Croatia is taming the lions.

Norgy

I have this one as a draw. And I am sure the lions will fight back.

Norgy

Song, you bloody moron. The sheer idiocy of it.