News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Pretty gripping game despite a 0-0 though.

Norgy

Decent performance by both. Brazil could maybe have taken this, but honestly, they didn't play well enough. There are so many easy mistakes that need correcting if they are going to win this WC.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2014, 03:56:37 PM
:nelson: @ Beeb.  ¡Viva México!

:huh:

If I understand it a tie for Brazil is almost as good (since they've already beat Croatia). 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Is Fred really international class? He seemed very weak today, losing lots and lots of balls. He doesn't play in Europe, which is usually not a good sign either.

Hansmeister

Brazil played good, but not great. They will have to play a lot better to win.

Sheilbh

Jo sure as fuck ain't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2014, 04:06:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2014, 03:56:37 PM
:nelson: @ Beeb.  ¡Viva México!

:huh:

If I understand it a tie for Brazil is almost as good (since they've already beat Croatia).

It really isn't. Against these sides they should have secured their ticket out of the group by now.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Zanza on June 17, 2014, 03:59:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 17, 2014, 03:56:45 PM
Brazil are really really bad. Won't get past the round of 16.
They certainly didn't look invincible. If Spain for example comes back and is second in group B, they could well win over Brazil in the round of sixteen. If Italy somehow only comes second in their group, they would win over this Brazil team in the quarter final...

While Germany will have an easy ride until the semifinal at least.

Zanza

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 17, 2014, 04:20:00 PM
While Germany will have an easy ride until the semifinal at least.
Hmm. First of all, we haven't won the group yet although we are halfway there I guess.

We would then probably face one of South Korea, Russia and Belgium in the round of sixteen. That should be possible to win.

The quarter final would probably be France, which is a quite good team with lots of individual quality. Not really an easy ride.

Norgy

Quote from: Zanza on June 17, 2014, 04:08:23 PM
Is Fred really international class? He seemed very weak today, losing lots and lots of balls. He doesn't play in Europe, which is usually not a good sign either.

I'd say he would be an international for Norway, but he seems rather out of place in Brazil's side. Don't rate him at all.

Hansmeister

Prior to the beginning of the tournament the four teams I was concerned about were Brazil, Spain, Argentina, and Italy. All other teams Germany should be able to beat as long as we don't play shitty.  And we can't meet any of those four prior to the semifinal.

OTOH, any finish less than the semifinal should be considered a colossal failure.

Norgy

I didn't rate Italy before this World Cup, as the Serie A has been poor the past few years.

Pirlo is amazing, but I am unsure about of the rest of the squad.

Of the teams that have played so far, Holland, Argentina and Germany have looked very good. Brazil, so and so, Italy better than I thought, and England as per usual. Belgium might do something, but I doubt they make it past the quarter-finals.

Admiral Yi

You thought Argentina looked very good? :hmm:

Liep

Nice comb over there by the ref. Speaking of which, how obvious will the refereeing be in Russia 2018?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Hansmeister

Holland has two great players in van Persie and Robben, but the rest is so-so. Spain was incredibly weak (only one player exceeded 10 km in total distance). Argentina has looked good, but not great. Brazil so far has not lived up to the hype after the confed cup win last year. Italy is a classic tournament team like Germany and despite their relative strength or weakness on paper you can always count on them going far (just like Germany). They had a very solid game against England, which was playing good as well, but a tick weaker than Italy.

I can see Brazil growing in strength as the tournament progresses, but are vulnerable to an early knock-out.