News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Apparently my Jinx "England sides lose when I watch them" was stronger than my Jinx "sides in the World Cup lose when I predict them to win". :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Pedrito

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 14, 2014, 07:01:26 PM
ENG 1 - 2 PIRLO
Candreva had a great game, and Darmian too. England was unable to close the right wingers.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

HVC

I'm gonna cheer for Costa Rica in this group.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

I just got home, is ELF-JPN live? This is why all WC's should be held within GMT +/- 2.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Speaking of which, what a goal by Honda. :O
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The African teams so far has turned up with the usual disorganized and disinterested defense.

mongers

Nice to see decent refereeing in the England-Italy game.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Japan is falling apart
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2014, 09:27:24 PM
Japan is falling apart

You had me worried 'til I remembered this was the WC thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Last world cup there were a zillion ties in the 1st games of the group stage. I decided to bank on that trend continuing, and picked most competitive games to be a draw in the languish pool. This seems to have been a flawed strategy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on June 14, 2014, 10:02:39 PM
Last world cup there were a zillion ties in the 1st games of the group stage. I decided to bank on that trend continuing, and picked most competitive games to be a draw in the languish pool. This seems to have been a flawed strategy.

Yeah, I picked a lot of draws, too.  And the increased scoring means I have almost no chance of winning the tie-breaker (not that I'm going to tie for the top spot anyway).

Viking

Quote from: dps on June 14, 2014, 10:11:39 PM

Yeah, I picked a lot of draws, too.  And the increased scoring means I have almost no chance of winning the tie-breaker (not that I'm going to tie for the top spot anyway).

I ran on the assumption that all games would end 2-1 or 3-0 with the "better" team winning. So far Costa Rica (go Gamboa!) and Netherlands have screwed with me. But I don't think anybody else go those right though.

Edit: and I'm leading the pool..
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on June 14, 2014, 10:11:39 PM

I hate this fucking sport.* Just when you think you can safely predict a boring result and wager expecting that, it becomes exciting.

*This post will become invalid if the US gets out of the group stage in which case I will have been a long time fan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014