News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Syt

If Ide would like to bandwaggon, here's a 1970s photo of German player Paul Breitner:

Or maybe:

(reading the "Beijing Review")
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

He's hoarding typing paper because he knows the workers' state can't produce it.  He's a hypocrite.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2014, 01:52:12 AM
He's hoarding typing paper because he knows the workers' state can't produce it.  He's a hypocrite.

:lol:

Nah, based on the books shown, those are stacks of books about the 1974 World Cup in Germany (which Germany won). Probably for signing or something. Breitner was famous for constantly handing out Mao Bibles (the little red book) to people, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

He's a suit at Bayern Munich nowadays though. I guess he came to terms with being a millionaire.

Syt

Money tends to have that effect on people. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

What a nice day, isn't it?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

They call it soccer in Ireland? :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Probably to spite the English.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Why "soccer"?

Because, way back in the 1840s the different kinds of football played in england tried to unify their rules. The issue for debate was "tripping" - what we today call tackling. This was from before catching the ball with the hands was banned. At that time players could shout "mark" and catch the all with their hands. They could then place it on the ground and take a free kick. See Aussie Rules Football if you want an idea of how it worked.

In the Eton School Game the player calling the mark would place the ball on the ground a kick it. In Rugby School Game the player calling the mark could pick the ball off from the ground and run with the ball in hand. The Rugby School Game permitted tripping the player carrying the ball while the Eton School Game banned tripping the man dribbling the ball. Arguments ensued and the Rugby delegates left in a huff. The Eton School Rules became the basis for the rules played by the schools which formed the Football Association.

Consequently the two kinds of the game became known as Rugby Football and Association Football. This was shortened to "Rugger" and "Soccer" (for a-soc-iation). So countries where the game was introduced by the English upper class it gets known as soccer to distinguish it from rugby, which the upper class also introduced.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Nogomet? Can you explain that Warspite?