News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

We can give it metrics, any team with a 10/1 or over line?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2014, 10:21:17 AM

I guess.  But I look at it more step-by-step.  Like right now, any team not favored to qualify (i.e., the "bottom two" of each group) is an underdog.  And then later you have underdogs for each round in the bracket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2014, 09:26:55 AM
With no Canada (as if!), not even a Ukraine, I guess after my trip there (and last weekend's reciprocal visit by a couple of nationals) my loyalties lie with... Brazil?

Feels funny pulling for a huge favourite, I almost always pull for the underdog. :mellow:

Dont you have to turn in your Jets fan card if you do this?

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 10:30:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2014, 10:21:17 AM

I guess.  But I look at it more step-by-step.  Like right now, any team not favored to qualify (i.e., the "bottom two" of each group) is an underdog.  And then later you have underdogs for each round in the bracket.

I agree, underdog status is a match by match status.

There is also the cinderella status to be considered, which is more important than underdog status.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Was she the one with the shoe? What is the football analogy there?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2014, 12:38:11 PM

A longshot team that has unanticipated success through a tournament (sometimes winning the whole thing but not necessarily).  I've heard it used most often in the NCAA basketball tournament.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

To expand on what Speesh said, a Cinderella has to beat a series of favorites.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2014, 12:38:11 PM

Cinderalla is the team nobody expects will win but upsets some favourites on their way to the elimination rounds.  I am not sure where the term originated.  I first heard it in the context of the NCAA basketball Championships.

Valmy

Well there was the 'Cinderella Man' John Braddock from the 30s so it at least goes back that far.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on June 11, 2014, 06:54:45 AM
And for those of you on Twitter, @HipsterManager is well worth a follow...

QuoteSundayLeagueHipster @HipsterManager  ·  19h
Can't wait until the first game of the World Cup because Croatia have a triple pivot of Modric-Rakitic-Kovacic

I need to change my trousers
He's entirely right this World Cup will be a little bit less special without Seamus Coleman.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

Cinderella was the unknown, overlooked step sister who came out of no where to marry the Prince.

Admiral Yi

Also strongly associated with Bill Murray.

sbr

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 01:45:41 PM
Well there was the 'Cinderella Man' John Braddock from the 30s so it at least goes back that far.

I am not sure how far back the sports references go but a quick google search turned up that a French author first wrote the Cinderella story in the 1600s, along with Sleeping Beauty and little Red Riding Hood.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 11:29:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2014, 09:26:55 AM
With no Canada (as if!), not even a Ukraine, I guess after my trip there (and last weekend's reciprocal visit by a couple of nationals) my loyalties lie with... Brazil?

Feels funny pulling for a huge favourite, I almost always pull for the underdog. :mellow:

Dont you have to turn in your Jets fan card if you do this?

I in fact have a Jets fan card (it's my season ticket waiting list card), and no, I don't. :blurgh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.