And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on June 09, 2014, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 09, 2014, 05:03:11 PM
Anyone want to go in on flag bikinis? I'm thinking to sell them at each venue.

I've heard you look terrible in them, but don't let me stop you.

I do, truly. But the girls can't help themselves buying them to support their friends.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2014, 12:34:15 PM
In fairness the same happened with the UK in 2012. The week before the Opening Ceremony everyone was down about the Olympics - remember Romney wondering about the enthusiasm. Then it started and :wub: :mmm: :w00t:

Yeah, same with the Olympics in Vancouver. People bitched and hated them... until they happened.

Josephus

There's always naysayers who get the press, those bread not circuses loony lefties  ;) They're always a minority though.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2014, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 09, 2014, 11:55:06 AM
John Oliver tears into FIFA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

I love that show.

Speaking of Germans losing things...today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Uhm, you're a few days off there.

Monoriu

It is of utmost importance that the status quo is maintained with respect to World Cups.

It means that those who have not won the trophy before cannot win it. 

If, in the extremely regrettable circumstances where this cannot be done (as in 2010), it is very important that the the winner come from either Europe, or South America. 

If the tournament is held in Europe, only Brazil and European teams can win it.  If the tournament is held in the Americas, only South American teams can win it.  If the tournament is held outside the Americas and Europe, only Brazil can win it. 

To sum up, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay should win this World Cup for the sake of status quo. 

Josephus

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2014, 10:10:17 PM
Uhm, you're a few days off there.

Yeah...was quoting John Oliver from Sunday...context  ;)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2014, 04:03:03 AM
It is of utmost importance that the status quo is maintained with respect to World Cups.

If, in the extremely regrettable circumstances where this cannot be done (as in 2010), it is very important that the the winner come from either Europe, or South America. 

If the tournament is held in Europe, only Brazil and European teams can win it.  If the tournament is held in the Americas, only South American teams can win it.  If the tournament is held outside the Americas and Europe, only Brazil can win it. 

To sum up, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay should win this World Cup for the sake of status quo. 

Why didn't Spain's victory in South Africa create a new Status Quo? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 09:14:26 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2014, 04:03:03 AM

Why didn't Spain's victory in South Africa create a new Status Quo? :hmm:

It did. Mono just didn't feel the need to mention that only Spain may win a World Cup held in Africa.

Liep

Will a world cup in Qatar during winter destroy the Status Quo completely?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Hey, it's almost time for me to start giving a shit about soccer again!  :w00t:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on June 10, 2014, 10:35:05 AM
THURSDAY. :w00t:

Are we really that excited to see Brazil lose Croatia?

Yes, yes we are.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2014, 10:42:14 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 10, 2014, 10:35:05 AM
THURSDAY. :w00t:

Are we really that excited to see Brazil lose Croatia?

Yes, yes we are.

That would be pretty hilarious. 

I'm tempted to place a few bets on the outright winner.  I see 6/1 payouts for Germany winning.  Ditto for Spain.  Iran is at 2500/1, so a $100 bet on them would pay off my house if they win :w00t:

Yi will probably correct my betting terminology-- I usually screw it up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall