News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Two Brazillians were at our house over the weekend, and will be in Canada for another couple of weeks (thus missing the start of the World Cup).

It's only two people, but I think it goes to the lack of enthusiasm that country is showing for hosting what is supposed to be one of sport's greatest events.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Brazilians not excited about soccer?  Not sure how to compute that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 11:58:41 AM
Two Brazillians were at our house over the weekend, and will be in Canada for another couple of weeks (thus missing the start of the World Cup).

It's only two people, but I think it goes to the lack of enthusiasm that country is showing for hosting what is supposed to be one of sport's greatest events.

Two people do not a lack of enthusiasm show.

I think you underestimate. I mean there's always the one doctor out of 10 who doesnt' recommend Colgate...or the one scientist out of 1000 who doesn't believe in climate change. Freaks abound.

On Thursday afternoon every Brazilian with a TV set is going to be watching the world cup game.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 09, 2014, 12:20:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 11:58:41 AM

Two people do not a lack of enthusiasm show.

I think you underestimate. I mean there's always the one doctor out of 10 who doesnt' recommend Colgate...or the one scientist out of 1000 who doesn't believe in climate change. Freaks abound.

On Thursday afternoon every Brazilian with a TV set is going to be watching the world cup game.

We'll see.  Even from news reports there's been a lot of mixed to negative reports coming out of Brazil about the World Cup.

Don't get me wrong - if Brazil wins the Cup there'll be parties in the streets.  But just hosting the games themselves is looking less and less impressive (and less and less worth the costs)...

Sheilbh

In fairness the same happened with the UK in 2012. The week before the Opening Ceremony everyone was down about the Olympics - remember Romney wondering about the enthusiasm. Then it started and :wub: :mmm: :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I will always remember those opening Ceremonies.  Henry was born that afternoon and right after I saw him to the infant care room I walked out into the waiting room and they started.  I was so emotional when they started singing the hymn for each British nation I kept tearing up  :lol: :Embarrass:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2014, 12:34:15 PM
In fairness the same happened with the UK in 2012. The week before the Opening Ceremony everyone was down about the Olympics - remember Romney wondering about the enthusiasm. Then it started and :wub: :mmm: :w00t:

The week before London 2012 the London underground wasn't paralyzed by strikes.

alfred russel

If Brazil can't pull off the World Cup in decent form, the Olympics have to be a bit concerned. At least Brazilians care about and do well in soccer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 12:41:58 PM
No. But they nearly were. The deal to avert Tube strikes during the games was reached a couple of months before they started and the bus drivers only reached a deal a month before.

Edit: Actually there was a bus strike 3 days before the Opening Ceremonies and a deal was reached in the last 2 days.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

This kind of hand wringing happens every time a country is hosting one of these big events.  Everybody is terrified they are going to look bad on the international stage after blowing a billion tax dollars on it.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2014, 12:57:21 PM

This kind of hand wringing happens every time a country is hosting one of these big events.  Everybody is terrified they are going to look bad on the international stage after blowing a billion tax dollars on it.

"a" billion tax dollars?

Try 14 billion.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2014, 12:59:21 PM
"a" billion tax dollars?

Try 14 billion.

Point still stands.

alfred russel

Just once I want to see a World Cup or Olympics turn into a total disaster. We always get these predictions, and it has never happened (ignoring terrorist events).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Montreal?

South Africa was pretty shit too.
Let's bomb Russia!