News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spanish king abdicates

Started by Syt, June 02, 2014, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Wasn't one of the issues with the elephant hunt that it also made his affair with some German woman half his age public?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2014, 08:15:12 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 02, 2014, 08:05:48 AM
Albert of (non-state) Belgium,
Beatrix of the (still not re-) United Kingdom of the Netherlands
and now Carlos.
If you want to refer to useless titles, Juan Carlos can easily outdo the other two. He has titles like King of Jerusalem or Two Sicilies, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy or King of the East and West Indies...

at some point the spanish crown will need to go to war to prevent the claims from disappearing upon inheritance!

Zanza

I am pretty sure they already lost all those cores.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2014, 12:05:09 PM

Has it been more than 50 years since 1898 already?

Seriously though this is about as absurd as Elizabeth II claiming to be Queen of France (though she is Duchess of Normandy)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

The one that got me was "King of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea". That seems... broad.

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2014, 11:48:19 AM
Wasn't one of the issues with the elephant hunt that it also made his affair with some German woman half his age public?

Nobody cares about the mistress part. This is Spain, not America. Unfortunately for the king her business deals with the Crown seem rather murky.

Zanza

Okay, the fact that she's German ensured that it got some press here, so my perspective is probably off.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2014, 12:05:09 PM

Has it been more than 50 years since 1898 already?

Seriously though this is about as absurd as Elizabeth II claiming to be Queen of France (though she is Duchess of Normandy)

The King of Spain is officially the King of Spain, period. He is allowed to use "historic titles tied to the crown" - which is where that crazed-out list comes from - but he never uses them in any capacity. But hysterical monarchists love to compile all of them.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2014, 12:24:12 PM
The King of Spain is officially the King of Spain, period.

Yeah that is what I thought.  That the artifact titles of the past Kings and Queens had been dropped.

QuoteHe is allowed to use "historic titles tied to the crown" - which is where that crazed-out list comes from - but he never uses them in any capacity. But hysterical monarchists love to compile all of them.

Ah ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Local authorities sometimes allude to the other domestic titles when he visits those areas, but he's not so crazy as to style himself Archduke of Austria or a lot of the other stuff.  Although I do remember the mayor of Jerusalem jokingly calling him "his King".

Archy

A sad day for us in the duchy of brabant, we're still ruled by the saxe-coburg-Gotha usurpers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 09:11:02 AM
I'm guessing they are.
Not really. Not outside Glasgow anyway.

If anything I'd say the Scots get the royals better than the English. They're the type of people who enjoy going on holiday to Scotland, wearing tweed, shooting things during the day and then drinking whisky at night. Also most of the Royal family love Scotland, the Queen Mother and now Charles have a private home in Scotland (near where I grew up so met the Queen Mum a couple of times as a young cub :lol:) and Balmoral's the Queen's favourite home.

QuoteWon't happen, the Queen is too much of a traditionalist.
I could see it happening if she started to go the way of John Paul II. But aside from that I can't imagine her ever abdicating, I think she'll carry on and just do less.

Edit: Also was I the only English person who thought that we should probably try and seize Cadiz and Ceuta today? :blush:

Edit: And then I remembered we don't have a navy anymore :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

On the plus side, HRH Prince of Asturias Felipe graduated from the Georgetown University Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, so we know he's got a solid CFR-based internationalist education.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Scipio on June 02, 2014, 06:01:39 PM
On the plus side, HRH Prince of Asturias Felipe graduated from the Georgetown University Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, so we know he's got a solid CFR-based internationalist education.

So...he's properly tamed by the HR beast and duly prepared to feed us all to Satan on command. Got it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers