Viking

I've pronounced them

Caen  - Ka-ayn
Cannes - Kann
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

<insert Kirk image from Wrath of Cannes meme pic here>

Tonitrus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 27, 2014, 10:06:47 AM
The first postmaster here was from Australia; hence Melbourne, Florida. :outback:

My brother once worked in North Carolina.  The locals referred to Washington, NC was "Little Washington" and Washington DC was "Big Washington."

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2014, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2014, 10:57:56 AM
It was only a few years ago I learned about the existance of an American Cleveland.

Sorry :(

But at least you had those blissful years not knowing of it.  I'm jealous.
I hear it is hot there.
And....um.... Yeah
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

When I was a kid I didn't understand the difference between Victoria, B.C and Victoriaville, QC.

I really wanted to go the commonwealth games.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2014, 08:00:25 AM
Boston seemed very strange to me too when I first discovered its existance (maybe when I was a teenager?).
I guess it is because Boston doesn't have a football team that I'd missed hearing about it before despite it being a pretty big place. :lol:
To be honest the whole of Lincolnshire's a mystery to me. With the exception of York, Hull and London I've never really been to the East of the Pennines. I have a rough idea what goes where but that's about it.

Also the Midlands are just a blob to me - Stoke, Northampton, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester? Could be anywhere :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2014, 10:12:49 PM
Boston seemed very strange to me too when I first discovered its existance (maybe when I was a teenager?).
I guess it is because Boston doesn't have a football team that I'd missed hearing about it before despite it being a pretty big place. :lol:
To be honest the whole of Lincolnshire's a mystery to me. With the exception of York, Hull and London I've never really been to the East of the Pennines. I have a rough idea what goes where but that's about it.

Also the Midlands are just a blob to me - Stoke, Northampton, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester? Could be anywhere :blink:

Boggles the mind that people (aka you) can still be like that when your country is about the size of a postage stamp. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2014, 10:48:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2014, 10:12:49 PM

Boggles the mind that people (aka you) can still be like that when your country is about the size of a postage stamp. :P

And I though it was Americans who were supposed to be bad at geography.

Josquius

Meh, it's the geography of the modern world. I've never been to vast  swathes of the uk but have been to a bunch of places outside the country.
Manchester is just as close (in terms of travel cost and time) to Amsterdam or Paris as it is to York,etc...
And why learn about the exact locations of unimportant towns you're never going to? Except for fun of course.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

paradox taught me geography  :)

The Brain

Quote from: LaCroix on May 28, 2014, 11:19:51 PM
paradox taught me geography  :)

Then your knowledge of Balkans geography is COMPLETELY WRONG AND STUPID.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 08:23:42 AM
I remember being amused as a kid to discover that old Jersey was a tiny island with cows.

Don't diss Jersey. It's one of the best places I've visited. Lush and green, fantastic beaches and French cuisine without French people.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2014, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 27, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
IPA is your friend /kɑ̃/
It's a nasal vowel similar to ɔ̃/on for the Germans, among others.

IPA is fucking useless as a pronunciation guide. /kɑ̃/ is gibberish.  Comparing it to other gibberish raises gibberish to gibberish to the power of gibberish.

Linguists disagree.