News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Just one of those things

Started by Viking, May 26, 2014, 03:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

It's Viborg. :mad:

And they might not be named after each other but surely after the same thing, Выборг must've been founded by vikings at least Viborg was. Vi is probably norse for some shit and borg is fort.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

All three cities named Paris that I know up have Eiffel Towers.  It's pretty hard to tell the difference:

:P

E:  That guy who flew under there while in the process of shooting down a German (who also flew under there) who just died recently.....that's crazy shit.

Monoriu

When I lived in Vancouver, I was very confused when people talked about "Washington" as if it was a nearby place.  I thought they meant "Washington DC". 

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 03:56:12 PM
There's loads in the British Isles-US. See the beautiful town of Baltimore in Cork:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore,_County_Cork

What's weird is when I come across a British town whose name I knew because of its more famous American cousin. For example I remember meeting someone from Boston, Lincolnshire which I had no idea existed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_Lincolnshire

Well Baltimore was named for the Baron of Baltimore so, you know, that is natural.  Boston was one of the centers of Puritanism in England, where many of the Puritans who founded the American Boston had come from.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
You didn't even mention perhaps the most famous one - the state of Georgia and the nation of Georgia.

Once in France I left my Georgia driver's license as a deposit. The lady I gave it to was like "Oh wow, Georgia, how exciting!" I was completely confused why she thought being from Georgia was interesting, until I realized she probably thought I was from the country.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on May 26, 2014, 07:27:08 PM
It's Viborg. :mad:

And they might not be named after each other but surely after the same thing, Выборг must've been founded by vikings at least Viborg was. Vi is probably norse for some shit and borg is fort.

Swedish (now Russian :yuk:) Viborg was founded in 1293.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Georgia and Georgia are both named, directly and indirectly, after Saint George. Georgia in Georgian is Sakartvelo.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 26, 2014, 09:10:27 PM
When I lived in Vancouver, I was very confused when people talked about "Washington" as if it was a nearby place.  I thought they meant "Washington DC". 

So what about Vancouver, Washington?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

A friend of mine was travelling in New Zealand last year. Loads of the towns she passed through had Japanese sounding names. Its just one of those things that Maori and Japanese happen to sound the same.

Zealand and Zeeland always annoy me.

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 03:56:12 PM
There's loads in the British Isles-US. See the beautiful town of Baltimore in Cork:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore,_County_Cork

What's weird is when I come across a British town whose name I knew because of its more famous American cousin. For example I remember meeting someone from Boston, Lincolnshire which I had no idea existed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_Lincolnshire
Similarly there's a by-election going on in Newark, which again I didn't realise was a British town:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark-on-Trent

All of these make sense and I realise I probably should expect any famous American city to have a British counterpart but they both surprised me when I heard them for the first time.

Boston seemed very strange to me too when I first discovered its existance (maybe when I was a teenager?).
I guess it is because Boston doesn't have a football team that I'd missed hearing about it before despite it being a pretty big place. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

I remember being amused as a kid to discover that old Jersey was a tiny island with cows.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

If only New Jersey was just full of new cows.

Josquius

New York and York are no problem. People always say the full New York. New Jersey though....bah. People always knock off the New. I recall a few early internet encounters with people who claimed to be from Jersey but to have never been to Europe.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

The first postmaster here was from Australia; hence Melbourne, Florida. :outback:

My brother once worked in North Carolina.  The locals referred to Washington, NC was "Little Washington" and Washington DC was "Big Washington."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2014, 08:00:25 AM
Boston seemed very strange to me too when I first discovered its existance (maybe when I was a teenager?).
I guess it is because Boston doesn't have a football team that I'd missed hearing about it before despite it being a pretty big place. :lol:

There is a Cleveland in england as well. Not to mention a whole bunch of Springfields.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on May 27, 2014, 10:06:47 AM
My brother once worked in North Carolina.  The locals referred to Washington, NC was "Little Washington" and Washington DC was "Big Washington."

:lol:  GOD BLESS AMERICA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall