News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Just one of those things

Started by Viking, May 26, 2014, 03:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on May 27, 2014, 10:43:08 AM

There is a Cleveland in england as well. Not to mention a whole bunch of Springfields.
It was only a few years ago I learned about the existance of an American Cleveland.
I've never encountered a Springfield in the UK.
I live near the original Washington. It is Washington; DC is Washington, America; Washington State is something most normal people aren't really aware of, the stuff of pub quizzes.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2014, 10:57:56 AM
It was only a few years ago I learned about the existance of an American Cleveland.

Sorry :(

But at least you had those blissful years not knowing of it.  I'm jealous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2014, 11:03:00 AM

Unlike the poor citizens of that blighted place...

but then again there is Birmingham....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on May 27, 2014, 10:06:47 AM
The first postmaster here was from Australia; hence Melbourne, Florida. :outback:

My brother once worked in North Carolina.  The locals referred to Washington, NC was "Little Washington" and Washington DC was "Big Washington."
There is a "Little Washington" in Virginia as well.  Washington, VA is older than Washington, DC, 70 miles away.  There used to be an actual "Little Washington" in Loudon County Virginia, also about 50 miles from DC, where the former slaves from the Washington family settled, but it was never incorporated.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on May 27, 2014, 11:08:17 AM
but then again there is Birmingham....
I genuinely don't know which is worse.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Caen and Cannes are definitively not the same name. The former is probably of celtic origin while the latter is of occitan origin (Canas).

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2014, 11:03:00 AM

Well its chief export is crippling depression.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 27, 2014, 02:50:25 PM
Caen and Cannes are definitively not the same name. The former is probably of celtic origin while the latter is of occitan origin (Canas).

Are they even pronounced the same?  I always thought Caen was Cay-en, Cannes was Can.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Well, if we're talking "always" when I was kid I thought it was "Cans," but I also thought it was "Versalese."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 27, 2014, 02:56:47 PM

Are they even pronounced the same?  I always thought Caen was Cay-en, Cannes was Can.

Cannes is Can.  Caen is um...erm...hard to explain.  It is an 'a' like father not ann.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 03:01:28 PM

Cannes is Can.  Caen is um...erm...hard to explain.  It is an 'a' like father not ann.

IPA is your friend /kɑ̃/
It's a nasal vowel similar to ɔ̃/on for the Germans, among others.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 27, 2014, 03:07:22 PM
IPA is your friend /kɑ̃/
It's a nasal vowel similar to ɔ̃/on for the Germans, among others.

IPA is fucking useless as a pronunciation guide. /kɑ̃/ is gibberish.  Comparing it to other gibberish raises gibberish to gibberish to the power of gibberish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Caen sounds like kah with a honking noise at the end.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on May 27, 2014, 02:57:41 PM
Well, if we're talking "always" when I was kid I thought it was "Cans," but I also thought it was "Versalese."

Why on earth would you think "Cannes" was pronounced "Versalese"?  I'd expect that level of stupid from, say, Timmay.

:D