At what point in time could Britain have defeated the Roman invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 26, 2014, 04:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Well in that case you've already answered the question yourself.  :huh:

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
He successfully completed his objective of restoring an allied tribe to power and left.

He had far fewer men in his expedition than in the 43AD invasion.

It was a different force with different objectives, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Hold a minute, Tim.

While the invasion force of 55 BC was indeed just two legions and was meant as a reconaissance in force (and was not successful), the second invasion of 54 BC was comprised of FIVE legions and 2,000 auxiliary cavalry - larger than the force sent in 43 AD.

And indeed, Caesar did more than just place a friendly king ahead of the Trinovantes, he also managed the recognition of Cassivelaunus, the British Cingetórix. From a vassal standpoint, he did win.

The real reason why Britain was not incorporated by him in the Roman sphere was the fact that Gaul was still too unstable at the time, and those legions really could not be spared for duty in Britain. If Gaul was as romanized in 54 BC as it was in 43 AD, Caesar would have conquered it.

(besides, the second invasion had better ships than the first, better able to cross the channel)

So, realistic British ability to defend against the Romans was totally dependent on the conditions in the continent and the political climate in Rome. On their own, they could only hold places where Roman logistics would be too stretched to go to.

alfred russel

The Romans had a very significant impact on Britain. I assume the question is asking when Britain would have been able to resist the invasion absent a successful invasion in the 1st century (otherwise the answer would be soon after the invasion when Roman troops were stationed in Britain, as they could have resisted a similar invasion).

This is almost as bad as asking when the Iroquois could have fought off the Europeans. Wft does that even mean? Being conquered brought them into the Roman world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on May 27, 2014, 02:28:07 PM
The question isn't about anything. It just is really fucking stupid.

I finished your thought.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Agelastus

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 27, 2014, 11:51:39 AM
While the invasion force of 55 BC was indeed just two legions and was meant as a reconaissance in force (and was not successful), the second invasion of 54 BC was comprised of FIVE legions and 2,000 auxiliary cavalry - larger than the force sent in 43 AD.

Only thing I'd disagree with in your post is here, Martim - the 54BC invasion may have had five legions to the four of 43 but the 43 invasion had a far larger number of auxiliaries and was thus far larger in total size (even discounting the probability that the 43 legions were at full strength whereas Caesar's were probably already somewhat depleted.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2014, 02:24:00 PM
The Romans had a very significant impact on Britain. I assume the question is asking when Britain would have been able to resist the invasion absent a successful invasion in the 1st century (otherwise the answer would be soon after the invasion when Roman troops were stationed in Britain, as they could have resisted a similar invasion).

This is almost as bad as asking when the Iroquois could have fought off the Europeans. Wft does that even mean? Being conquered brought them into the Roman world.
The Romans don't count, they're not British.

I thought the time travel nature of my question was clear.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 27, 2014, 08:53:55 PM

Why not? It isn't as though most of the Roman military in Britain was from Italy. In other eras it isn't as though the British/English military was all from Britain.

grumbler

The Anglo-Saxons and Harold weren't British, either.

I'd say the answer to the question "what was the earliest non-Roman army in England that could have successful defeated the Roman invasion of 43AD?" I'd say it likely had to have been one with stirrups for their horses.  There probably was never, before the gunpowder era, an infantry army in England that could defeat that Roman army.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2014, 10:16:29 AM

The Anglo-Saxons and Harold weren't British, either.

I'd say the answer to the question "what was the earliest non-Roman army in England that could have successful defeated the Roman invasion of 43AD?" I'd say it likely had to have been one with stirrups for their horses.  There probably was never, before the gunpowder era, an infantry army in England that could defeat that Roman army.
An excellent answer to the question. :hug:

I thought the infantry of the later Anglo-Saxons were quite disciplined, but I suppose there weren't enough of them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point