At what point in time could Britain have defeated the Roman invasion?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 26, 2014, 04:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2014, 07:17:19 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 04:05:26 AM
    What's the earliest point the island of Britain, if thrown backward in time to the day of the invasion, could successful defeat the Roman invasion?

Oh wait, it was a trick question. The answer is 55 BC.

Only if the University of Miami Hurricanes were aged, and still waiting for Montgomery to take Caen.

Valmy

Only if they had allied with the giant ants of Brest-Litovsk.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2014, 12:17:15 PM
Only if they had allied with the giant ants of Brest-Litovsk.
Would the ancient Britons have gotten torpedo-boat technology from the Inca?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on May 26, 2014, 10:38:42 AM
The Royal Navy of 1815 could have defeated the Roman invasion force.

Yes, had Operation Sea Lion been attempted, Horatio Nelson and the RN would have isolated the invading Romans.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2014, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 10:37:03 AM
    What's the earliest point the island of Britain, if thrown backward in time to the day of the invasion, could successful defeat the Roman invasion?

Caesar didn't intend to conquer the island, so no it isn't.

You didn't say anything about intentions, so yes it is.
He successfully completed his objective of restoring an allied tribe to power and left.

He had far fewer men in his expedition than in the 43AD invasion.

It was a different force with different objectives, it's comparing apples to oranges.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 06:32:33 PMIt was a different force with different objectives, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Which is perfectly fine when the premise of the question is to compare apples to underwear.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2014, 10:01:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 06:32:33 PMIt was a different force with different objectives, it's comparing apples to oranges.

Which is perfectly fine when the premise of the question is to compare apples to underwear.
he's like a kid crying that people aren't following the rules of his made up game :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on May 26, 2014, 10:04:04 PM
he's like a kid crying that people aren't following the rules of his made up game :lol:

He would've made an awful Dungeon Master.  Ed would've punched him straight through the DM screen.

DGuller

I think by the time Brits had bolt action rifles, they could've repelled the invasion, assuming that Romans didn't develop technologically past what they achieved historically.

CountDeMoney

It's obvious the Zulus didn't possess enough Incan torpedo boats at Roark's Drift, either.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on May 26, 2014, 10:04:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 26, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

All games are made up, so I'm not sure what your point is?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 26, 2014, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2014, 10:37:03 AM

Caesar didn't intend to conquer the island, so no it isn't.

You didn't say anything about intentions, so yes it is.
He successfully completed his objective of restoring an allied tribe to power and left.

He had far fewer men in his expedition than in the 43AD invasion.

It was a different force with different objectives, it's comparing apples to oranges.

That's not the point. Your question is "What's the earliest point the island of Britain (...) could successful defeat the Roman invasion". The only possible answer is the date of the first Roman invasion, hence 55 BC.

jimmy olsen

I said the Roman invasion and specified a date and the forces involved.

I didn't say a Roman invasion and leave it up in the air as to which Roman invasion I was talking about.

1 Karma Chameleon point