News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iran Courts CdM and Ide

Started by Jacob, May 25, 2014, 01:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

QuoteA billionaire businessman at the heart of a $2.6 billion state bank scam, the largest fraud case since the country's 1979 Islamic Revolution, was executed Saturday, state television reported.

Authorities put Mahafarid Amir Khosravi, also known as Amir Mansour Aria, to death at Evin prison, just north of the capital, Tehran, the station reported. The report said the execution came after Iran's Supreme Court upheld his death sentence.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.592510

Ideologue

Sounds awesome, indeed.  Here's the thing: stealing can be worse than killing.  Defrauding folks out of $2.6 billion is worth about a thousand average persons' entire working lives.  If they are never made whole (and often even if they are, given the costs and inefficiencies imposed in seeking justice) isn't that actually much worse than knifing one guy in an alley and taking his wallet?

My point is that you can define financial crimes in terms of hours of destroyed value--the hours of someone's mortal existence.  It is very much akin to murder.  The death penalty is appropriate if the amounts are large enough, because even if they amount to spreading a dozen or a hundred or a thousand deaths out over millions, it is stealing from us the time we have on this Earth.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Iran and China sentence them to death, the US gives them a lifetime supply of handjobs from Yi.  And they're the bad guys?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Zombie Sulla approves of this method of finding businesses for the New President's Oligarch cronies to take over for a pittance.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2014, 08:11:36 AM
Iran and China sentence them to death, the US gives them a lifetime supply of handjobs from Yi.  And they're the bad guys?

:face:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2014, 02:38:47 AM
Sounds awesome, indeed.  Here's the thing: stealing can be worse than killing.  Defrauding folks out of $2.6 billion is worth about a thousand average persons' entire working lives.  If they are never made whole (and often even if they are, given the costs and inefficiencies imposed in seeking justice) isn't that actually much worse than knifing one guy in an alley and taking his wallet?

My point is that you can define financial crimes in terms of hours of destroyed value--the hours of someone's mortal existence.  It is very much akin to murder.  The death penalty is appropriate if the amounts are large enough, because even if they amount to spreading a dozen or a hundred or a thousand deaths out over millions, it is stealing from us the time we have on this Earth.

Now without looking it up, tell us exactly what Khosravi did that caused harm to others.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

I think I was clearly making an argument about the application of the death penalty for economic crimes, following a full and fair public trial.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2014, 02:22:13 PM
I think I was clearly making an argument about the application of the death penalty for economic crimes, following a full and fair public trial.

Here, you get a full and fair public trial too, but then the Federal prosecutor is eventually hired by the defendants as counsel.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2014, 02:22:13 PM

Such as, for example, failing to pay sales tax on internet purchases.

Ideologue

I paid my sales taxes for 2012.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

As far as I can tell, you're the only one that does.

The more important question, the one that Seedy is incapable of answering, is what constitutes an "economic crime."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2014, 03:12:54 PM
The more important question, the one that Seedy is incapable of answering, is what constitutes an "economic crime."

Cratering the economy of the western world and walking away with the spoils.  Answered, shitbag.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2014, 03:14:33 PM
Cratering the economy of the western world and walking away with the spoils.  Answered, shitbag.

Let's see.  The shareholders and management Lehman Brothers, Washington Mutual, IndyBank, Merryl Lynch, AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Countrywide, and others lent money that didn't get repaid (or sold default insurance they couldn't pay), so that could be described as cratering the economy.  However they all went under, so it's hard to say they walked away with the spoils.  However, by that logic anyone who lent money that wasn't repaid could be said to have contributed to cratering the economy.

Shitbag.