News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iran Courts CdM and Ide

Started by Jacob, May 25, 2014, 01:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2014, 03:12:54 PM
As far as I can tell, you're the only one that does.

The more important question, the one that Seedy is incapable of answering, is what constitutes an "economic crime."

Fraud is an economic crime.  Violating securities regulations would be an economic crime.  Wage theft would be an economic crime.  Hiring illegal workers would be an economic crime.  Failing to adhere to OSHA guidelines would be an economic crime.  There are already many economic crimes.  They are not, however, sufficiently prosecuted or carry sufficient punishments.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Wage theft?

So to be clear, are you in favor of the death penalty for all those things?

Ideologue

Depends on the severity of the harm, reversibility of the harm, mitigating factors, and all sorts of other nuanced questions that would be considered by a sentencing judge.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Plus, the type of white collar criminal we're talking about is generally not the impulsive and desperate street criminal against whom the death penalty holds comparatively little deterrent value (there was an interesting thought piece I read about how a lot of stereotypically poor behaviors, including criminality, could be explained by a framework that they value the utility of their continued existence as negative, and I think this has some predictive power).

We're talking about generally intelligent people who can do rational cost-benefit calculations and fear can in fact keep them in line.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

It seems that your line is somewhat different than Seedy's "death to bankers."

Are there people who you think have committed white collar crimes and gotten off too easily?

Ideologue

Ken Lay.  Bernie Madoff.  Erwin Chemerinsky.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

You think Bernie Madoff's 3,000 year sentence was too light?

Ideologue

Well, I don't believe in prisons.
Kinemalogue

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2014, 02:38:47 AM
Sounds awesome, indeed.  Here's the thing: stealing can be worse than killing.  Defrauding folks out of $2.6 billion is worth about a thousand average persons' entire working lives.  If they are never made whole (and often even if they are, given the costs and inefficiencies imposed in seeking justice) isn't that actually much worse than knifing one guy in an alley and taking his wallet?

My point is that you can define financial crimes in terms of hours of destroyed value--the hours of someone's mortal existence.  It is very much akin to murder.  The death penalty is appropriate if the amounts are large enough, because even if they amount to spreading a dozen or a hundred or a thousand deaths out over millions, it is stealing from us the time we have on this Earth.

Congratulations, you just described the economy from that terrible Justin Timberlake movie. :P
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

We all agree Friends with Benefits was awful, but it wasn't a Stalinist dystopia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2014, 10:35:56 PM
We all agree Friends with Benefits was awful, but it wasn't a Stalinist dystopia.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2014, 10:35:56 PM

Actually, I was talking about this particular gem:
Experience bij!

garbon

Hey that movie wasn't so bad. At least not in a day drinking in a beach house whilst sunburnt sort of way. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

It's not Andrew Niccol's worst movie... -_-
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

I have a friend who's made everyone he knows watch Lord of War at least twice :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!