Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Horrifying :bleeding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8086565.stm

Uranium found at second Syria site - IAEA
By Bethany Bell
BBC News, Vienna

Page last updated at 23:21 GMT, Friday, 5 June 2009 00:21 UK

Undated photo released by CIA of alleged nuclear reactor under construction in Syria.
Syria says the al-Kibar site was a disused military building

The UN nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, says traces of undeclared man-made uranium have been found at a second site in Syria, at a reactor in Damascus.

The IAEA is investigating US claims that a Syrian site destroyed in a 2007 Israeli raid was a nuclear reactor that was not yet operational.

Separately, the agency says Iran is continuing to enrich uranium in defiance of the UN Security Council.

Both Iran and Syria deny allegations of illicit nuclear activities.

'Link unclear'

Last year, the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) found particles of man-made uranium at the al-Kibar site in Syria, which was destroyed by Israeli missiles in September 2007.

Now in a confidential report obtained by the BBC, it says it has discovered new traces of uranium of a type not included in Syria's declared nuclear material.

The traces were found at a small reactor used for teaching in Damascus.

The IAEA says it is not clear whether there is a link between the particles found at the two sites.

In a separate report, the IAEA says Iran now has about 7,000 centrifuges - the machines used for enriching uranium. The agency says that Tehran is running almost 5,000 of them.

It also says that Iran has boosted its stockpile of low-enriched uranium (LEU) by 500kg to more than 1,300kg in the last six months.

David Albright of the Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security think-tank has said that Iran now had enough LEU to convert into high-enriched uranium (HEU) to make one atomic bomb.

However, he said Iran would need to overcome some technical hurdles to achieve this - a process that could take several years or more.

A senior official close to the IAEA says the agency has made little progress in its investigations in Iran and in Syria.

The agency has urged both countries to co-operate with its inspectors.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 09, 2009, 07:54:33 PM
1?

:lol:
Is a nuclear bomb something to be laughed at? All it takes is one for Tel Aviv to be razed to the ground.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Right under what Tim bolded, the article says that while Iran has enough uranium to enrich to build a bomb, they're still several years away from having the technology for the construction of the bomb.
Experience bij!

HVC

Tim, for a guy who seems uncanningly cheerful, you sure do look up a lot of bad news.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2009, 08:36:37 PM
Tim, for a guy who seems uncanningly cheerful, you sure do look up a lot of bad news.
The internet exaggerates things.

Ask people who've meet me like Caliga and Wags, I'm not like people here think I am.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2009, 08:00:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 09, 2009, 07:54:33 PM
1?

:lol:
Is a nuclear bomb something to be laughed at? All it takes is one for Tel Aviv to be razed to the ground.

How do you test if it works if you can only build one?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2009, 08:44:08 PM

Ask people who've meet me like Caliga and Wags, I'm not like people here think I am.
What, IRL you're a doomsday cultist? :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2009, 08:46:09 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2009, 08:44:08 PM

What, IRL you're a doomsday cultist? :lol:
No, but people have such a skewed view of me here that simply having an average disposition is a huge difference from what people expect.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 09, 2009, 08:23:16 PM
Right under what Tim bolded, the article says that while Iran has enough uranium to enrich to build a bomb, they're still several years away from having the technology for the construction of the bomb.

Well then, there's nothing to worry about, now is there, Neville?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 09, 2009, 08:11:26 PM
We must strike immediately.

Oh I don't think it's that bad.  Tim does this all the time we don't need to kill him over this one article.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2009, 09:13:04 PMTim does this all the time we don't need to kill him over this one article.

I disagree.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2009, 09:47:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2009, 09:13:04 PMTim does this all the time we don't need to kill him over this one article.

I disagree.
Ass, you agree with me on this issue.  :D

Also, your sig is fantastic.  :lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point