UN rights council gets cold shoulder from Ottawa

Started by Ancient Demon, June 09, 2009, 08:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2009, 03:30:03 PM
So eventually X (whatever it is) loses all meaning and coherence:  me being denied the right to a government paid car is some sort of 'human rights violation', or some ethnic group denied funding for a library is now "cultural genocide"*.

*Actual example!

This is why I told Berkut this is the biggest probem Human Rights Tribunals are facing.  I think Human Rights are very important.  I think it is appalling that anyone should be denied employment because of something unrelated to their ability to do the job and only related to their skin colour, sex, religion etc.

But that meaning is being lost as people subvert the phrase "Human Rights" for their own political purposes.  Now, when I mention Human Rights people roll their eyes and sigh because they have in mind examples like the one you cited rather then having in mind the very fundamental rights which we would all agree are important.

Admiral Yi

Speaking of employment and discrimination, there was a shareholder's resolution on the Walmart proxy statement that Walmart should not disciminate against transgender applicants.  I ended up not voting, but how would y'all have voted?

The Brain

Human rights is a joke. It didn't have to be but it is. Film at 11.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2009, 04:04:07 PM
Speaking of employment and discrimination, there was a shareholder's resolution on the Walmart proxy statement that Walmart should not disciminate against transgender applicants.  I ended up not voting, but how would y'all have voted?

I can't see that having transgendered greeters would worsen the experience of shopping at Walmart - you already have to brave the 500 pound tattooed ladies.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius