News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How old is "too old" to go to grad school?

Started by merithyn, May 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the subject line, doofus.

> 30
> 40
> 50
> 60
70+
It's never too old!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2014, 10:14:02 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 01:07:39 AM
It's not a "schtick," really.

It's a seriously considered position on a vexing policy issue.  One that I happen to subscribe to.

Oy
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on May 21, 2014, 07:04:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
As long as the purpose of post-secondary education is to prepare students for careers

It isn't.  :contract:

Well what is it for?  Because if I just want an amazing lecture by an academic I can easily view those all over the internet for free.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
As long as the purpose of post-secondary education is to prepare students for careers

Well what is it for?  Because if I just want an amazing lecture by an academic I can easily view those all over the internet for free.

I think getting a BA/BS in person is a bit different from watching lectures online for free.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 12:47:06 PM
I think getting a BA/BS in person is a bit different from watching lectures online for free.

Indeed.  You get a certificate at the end and sink a ton of time and energy in demonstrating your skills.  You show that there is a reasonably good chance you are a responsible adult, capable of making deadlines and providing work satisfactory to your instructor.  But those strike me as things that are primarily there to prepare somebody for a professional environment.  Society provides tax money to these institutions for research and scholarship but primarily to teach so their workforce will be better educated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

One of the big differences between reading on your own/watching online lectures and attending school is school assesses you, i.e. tells everyone how well you absorbed the information.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2014, 12:55:35 PM
One of the big differences between reading on your own/watching online lectures and attending school is school assesses you, i.e. tells everyone how well you absorbed the information.

The other big difference is that before attending the lecture the student will have done several hours of reading to prepare for the lecture.  Or at least that is how it is supposed to work.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2014, 12:59:43 PM
The other big difference is that before attending the lecture the student will have done several hours of reading to prepare for the lecture.

:lol:

QuoteOr at least that is how it is supposed to work.

:yes: They are also supposed to stay awake and not post on reddit during lecture as well.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 12:43:23 PM

As is usual for these things it has several purposes. Most ideally, a university is a place where scholars from various disciplines interact together, in the hopes that some sort of exchange happens, and ideas and insights get generated: students are supposed to be part of that conversation - they have the opportunity to participate in the community of ideas, not just in the classroom, but in all of the activities that a university generates.

They also may get a pratical education, and they also may get a formal acknowledgement of achievement in the form of credentials like a degree and marks - all of these things are related, but not the same (as in, you can participate in ideas without getting a practical education, and you can get a practical education without credentials, and vice-versa - that is, you can go, get the credentials, but lack either education or participation in ideas).

From a career perspective, what matters most is getting the credentials that open doors, and second most getting a pratical education you can put to work once those doors are open. However, the reason why a university edication is privileged above simply reviewing some text-books and preparing for a standardized exam, or simply reading stuff off of an internet site, is that it is supposed to be an opportunity for students to participate in the world of ideas. Obviously not every student does, it is impossible to measure or enforce this, and maybe some universities are bad at providing this opportunity - but at least, that's the theory.

This, ultimately, is why the degree was supposed to be worth something. To the extent universities become factories for churning out purely "practical" education without any participation in ideas, it becomes worth less: as you note, these days anyone with enough motivation can, if they choose, learn what they need to know of purely practical information on their own.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 21, 2014, 01:04:54 PM
it is supposed to be an opportunity for students to participate in the world of ideas

Yes, exactly. My biggest fear about living university is that I wouldn't have that anymore. To some extent I do, to some extent I don't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

If people want to goof off in university and "participate in the world of ideas" then that's fine, but not as long as my taxmoney is paying for it (which it is in Sweden). Humanities should be only for the idle rich.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 02:23:24 PM
Intellectual work is goofing off?

University-style reading French philosophers and chatting away with pseudo-intellectuals? Hells yeah.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2014, 02:24:31 PM

University-style reading French philosophers and chatting away with pseudo-intellectuals? Hells yeah.

:hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 02:29:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2014, 02:24:31 PM

:hmm:
He's talking about Sweden.  Maybe that's what it is like, there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2014, 10:47:49 AM
Just out of curiosity? How much debt will be incurred from the schooling and how long will it take you to pay it off at your present age?

Dunno. It's theoretical.

With an Assistantship, it would be minimal debt incurred. Without, most advanced degrees are in the $45k+ range. At that range, about 10 years to pay it off, assuming immediate employment at $80-100k/year.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...