News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How old is "too old" to go to grad school?

Started by merithyn, May 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the subject line, doofus.

> 30
> 40
> 50
> 60
70+
It's never too old!

Ideologue

There can be more than one evil in the world.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 10:10:52 PM

Also, I did explicitly say that all degree programs should be centrally managed to avoid oversupplies (and undersupplies, for that matter).  This would include STEM subjects like vet training, pharmacy training, and nuse training... all of which I've heard are on the verge of having their bubbles pop.

Bureaucrats are horrible judges of how many degrees of each type are needed. 

Razgovory

Ide's bitter schtick is getting a bit dull.  Things can be worse.  A lot worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

It's not a "schtick," really.  Though bitterness has compelled me to confront the issue, I have not once been met with an actual coherent argument as to why I'm wrong.

Responses usually fall into two categories:

1)The status quo is literally the only way to combat class inequality in modern America; or
2)Some degrees, despite their low ROI, are so valuable that those who are interested should still make major financial sacrifices to acquire them.

The first at least can be engaged with in a factual and theoretical debate; the second appears to be held with near-religious fervor in some quarters.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

You're never too old. As long as it's free.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Regardless of wrong or right, you dwell on the subject too much IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 01:07:39 AM
It's not a "schtick," really.  Though bitterness has compelled me to confront the issue, I have not once been met with an actual coherent argument as to why I'm wrong.

Responses usually fall into two categories:

1)The status quo is literally the only way to combat class inequality in modern America; or
2)Some degrees, despite their low ROI, are so valuable that those who are interested should still make major financial sacrifices to acquire them.

The first at least can be engaged with in a factual and theoretical debate; the second appears to be held with near-religious fervor in some quarters.

There is a third response.  It's getting boring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 09:19:46 PM
As long as the purpose of post-secondary education is to prepare students for careers

It isn't.  :contract:

Brazen

I did a three-month intensive post-graduate certificate professional qualification, which blows most of the time and money arguments out of the water. Age-wise most of the class members were recent graduates and I think only two of us were over 30. If you can put up with the whining along the lines of, "WTF? We're being expected to think for ourselves rather than being told everything we need to know?" it's easy to step up to the senior roles in team activities, which is handy on a career-changing CV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 01:07:39 AM
It's not a "schtick," really.

It's a seriously considered position on a vexing policy issue.  One that I happen to subscribe to.

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM
This topic has come up for me recently.

The arguments I've heard for "It's never too late!" include:

• If it's something you really want, then go for it, age bedamned!
  • There should be no limit to learning.
  • You don't know how long you have left to work, so you may as well beef up your resume just in case

The arguments I've heard for not going past a certain age include:

• Poor return on investment when you only have a set number of years left to work
  • You would be taking the space of a younger person who would be able to better put it to use
  • Waste of time and money that you could be spending traveling or with your family
  • If you take time off from work for grad school, it will be harder for you to get a job if you're of a "certain age"

What does the Languish Collective think?

Just out of curiosity? How much debt will be incurred from the schooling and how long will it take you to pay it off at your present age?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on May 21, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
I did a three-month intensive post-graduate certificate professional qualification, which blows most of the time and money arguments out of the water.

Most graduate programs are not so short or inexpensive.  There are some intensive 12 or 18 month graduate programs offered here.  I haven't heard of a three month graduate program but good on you for finding one and taking advantage of it. :)