News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How old is "too old" to go to grad school?

Started by merithyn, May 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the subject line, doofus.

> 30
> 40
> 50
> 60
70+
It's never too old!

garbon

At any rate, perhaps I should have that last bit out as it is sort of a tangent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbonSo it is the worst debt because you can't get rid of it when you decide that your financial decision wasn't wise?

That sounds reasonable, all things being equal, no?

Also, I did explicitly say that all degree programs should be centrally managed to avoid oversupplies (and undersupplies, for that matter).  This would include STEM subjects like vet training, pharmacy training, and nuse training... all of which I've heard are on the verge of having their bubbles pop.

It is not or should not be the duty of the Department of Education to simply ensure access to everybody to higher education: the idea that this was a good thing was a myth based on bad economics, and ultimately its greatest success was highly unintentional, by removing 18-24 year old males from the general population and artificially supporting them during their four or five most potentially violent and antisocial years.

It should be the duty of the Department of Education to shepherd the workforce of the future and match that workforce to the economy as it exists.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 10:10:52 PM
That sounds reasonable, all things being equal, no?

No. I mean you already had the education. Now you don't want to pay for it?

Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 10:10:52 PM
Also, I did explicitly say that all degree programs should be centrally managed to avoid oversupplies (and undersupplies, for that matter).  This would include STEM subjects like vet training, pharmacy training, and nuse training... all of which I've heard are on the verge of having their bubbles pop.

It is not or should not be the duty of the Department of Education to simply ensure access to everybody to higher education: the idea that this was a good thing was a myth based on bad economics, and ultimately its greatest success was highly unintentional, by removing 18-24 year old males from the general population and artificially supporting them during their four or five most potentially violent and antisocial years.

It should be the duty of the Department of Education to shepherd the workforce of the future and match that workforce to the economy as it exists.

And we part ways. I don't think the Department of Education should do any of those things.

Why would it help the situation if we forced peopled into fields they were uninterested and possibly unsuited for?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

How do you guys make these logical leaps? :unsure:

I didn't say students should be forced into anything--except only to the extent that their choices should be constrained.

(Incidentally: I would also accept, grudgingly, a purely free market solution.  No loans but private loans, dischargeable in BK, and whatever schools and programs as that market can bear.  I feel like this would be a bad step back in terms of income inequality and probably less efficient than responsible central planning, but it would still be more efficient and less harmful than our current combination of the worst of capitalism and communism.)

On the narrower BK issue: if it really bothers you, then the degree can be revoked.  The closest analogy would be gambling debts--the gambler has already derived the psychic benefit from gambling, yet they are permitted to discharge their debts in BK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 20, 2014, 10:31:40 PM
How do you guys make these logical leaps? :unsure:

I didn't say students should be forced into anything--except only to the extent that their choices should be constrained.

Presumably there would be students for whom they couldn't go into any majors they were interested in because there was an "oversupply", no? Sounds like it wouldn't be far off to say they would then be forced to either major in something they didn't want to - or I guess not go to college and hope the quotas were revised in their favor the next year?

CountDeMoney

(Incidentally: I would also accept, grudgingly, a purely free market solution.

Like how employers artificially suppress wages for decades, prohibiting the majority of grads with debt to reasonably deal with their loans once they've acquired employment.  There's your free market for you.

U.S. companies are holding on to $1.64 trillion in cash reserves,  they're not hiring, and wages have remained flat for decades.  But you want to blame the universities and the loan system.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2014, 10:38:55 PM
(Incidentally: I would also accept, grudgingly, a purely free market solution.

Like how employers artificially suppress wages for decades, prohibiting the majority of grads with debt to reasonably deal with their loans once they've acquired employment.  There's your free market for you.

U.S. companies are holding on to $1.64 trillion in cash reserves,  they're not hiring, and wages have remained flat for decades.  But you want to blame the universities and the loan system.

garbon recently got a raise so your graph is useless.

garbon

garbon

But you want to blame the universities and the loan system.

Sure. Why did tuition jump nearly 80% in 10 years? Suddenly that much more costly to educate a student?

sbr

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 20, 2014, 10:49:10 PM

I did? :huh:

I guess not.  I have seen you make similar rebuttals to similar statements before though.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 10:52:46 PM

Sure. Why did tuition jump nearly 80% in 10 years? Suddenly that much more costly to educate a student?

Because the system is broken?

I assume someone else who cares more than me and is more sober than me will expand but the government throws money out to students who "need" the education/degree and the Universities act like any market that gets too much money injected into it.  Inflation, baby!

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 20, 2014, 11:06:22 PM

I assume someone else who cares more than me and is more sober than me will expand but the government throws money out to students who "need" the education/degree and the Universities act like any market that gets too much money injected into it.  Inflation, baby!

Those questions were rhetorical. ;)

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 20, 2014, 11:01:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 20, 2014, 10:49:10 PM

I did? :huh:

I guess not.  I have seen you make similar rebuttals to similar statements before though.

Oh okay.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 11:12:41 PM

Oh okay.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 20, 2014, 11:15:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 11:12:41 PM

Oh okay.

Well they were. A counter punch to Seeds incredulity that Ide would complain about education.

A bit more grounded than your comments about my supposed raise at a company having layoffs.