News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 09:11:00 AM
I don't care enough to read the thread.  Nothing is going to change in Iran.  You people are living in a fantasy world.  :)

The point is Caliga is that Iran is made to look ridiculous.  Mission accomplished.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 09:12:14 AMFrom what I gather she is a sexy female version of Jesus Christ, only more noble.
*checks* Oh snap, she looks like a young Paula Abdul.  :(

THE REGIME MUST BE OVERTHROWN, NO MORE DEAD HOT CHICKS :ultra:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 09:11:00 AM
I don't care enough to read the thread.  Nothing is going to change in Iran.  You people are living in a fantasy world.  :)
And this not 90 minutes after I posted about "invincible ignorance."  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 09:12:39 AM
The point is Caliga is that Iran's "Supreme Leadership" is made to look ridiculous.  Mission accomplished.
FYP for accuracy. The country isn't being made to look ridiculous, just its leadership.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Is it just considered cool to be all pessimistic and negative about this stuff?

I dunno, I guess I am just naive, but I think anytime people are standing up and dying while chanting shit like "down with the dictators!" and such, that is pretty fucking awesome. Maybe the guy they want to replace him with isn't Thomas Jefferson, but it is pretty damn likely he is a hell of a lot more amenable to democracy (or will be if the revolt succeeds) than the asshat running the show now.

Most of the people who took over the nascent United States where "part of the system" they overthrew as well - does that mean it would be oh so middle school cool then to pooh-pooh the effort because it wouldn't really matter?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on June 23, 2009, 10:09:45 AM

Yes. The story combines my pet hates of Iranians, Twitter, social networking, and the Internet.

Plus, I get the bonus of annoying Spellus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

I dunno, I guess I am just naive, but I think anytime people are standing up and dying while chanting shit like "down with the dictators!" and such, that is pretty fucking awesome. Maybe the guy they want to replace him with isn't Thomas Jefferson, but it is pretty damn likely he is a hell of a lot more amenable to democracy (or will be if the revolt succeeds) than the asshat running the show now.

Most of the people who took over the nascent United States where "part of the system" they overthrew as well - does that mean it would be oh so middle school cool then to pooh-pooh the effort because it wouldn't really matter?
Dunno about how "cool" it is considered to be, but it is easy and therfor the lazy person's default position: "I don't bother to get informed because it doesn't matter, but I am still entitled to my opinion."

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2009, 10:13:29 AM
Yes. The story combines my pet hates of Iranians, Twitter, social networking, and the Internet.

Your posts, and Neil's, are at least amusing.  You guys know how to do that grumpy reactionary shit.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I actually regret that we rebelled from Britain.  :(

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 10:21:25 AMYour posts, and Neil's, are at least amusing.  You guys know how to do that grumpy reactionary shit.
Ok fine, people.  Neda is the swellest human being ever.  She's like the modern day Crispus Attucks, except more Iranian, more female, and less black. :thumbsup:

Neil

Well, I suppose that's great if you think that there's some kind of negative to a dictator, or that democracy is inherently virtuous.

Myself, I prize stability above democracy, especially when dealing with the Third World.  Even if the protest kiddies succeed in Iran, and it miraculously transforms into a super-duper democracy, Iran will still have to sit at the kid's table in world affairs, they'll still want atomics, they'll still sow anti-semitism in the Middle East and they'll still have the poisonous influence of Islam eating away at their heart.  Moreover, a victory by the protest kiddies in Iran would give aid and comfort to the protest kiddies in the West.

Just like we supported regimes that we wouldn't necessarily want to live under in their battle against communism, so must we support regimes that we wouldn't want to live under in their battle against politically active youth.  Otherwise, it could be 1848 all over again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2009, 10:13:29 AM

Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I hate the Internet.  That said, the elitist in me misses the old days, before the Internet became a commercial phenomenon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 10:43:40 AM
Ok fine, people.  Neda is the swellest human being ever.  She's like the modern day Crispus Attucks, except more Iranian, more female, and less black. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Bayraktar!

KRonn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31507917/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Obama says world 'appalled' by Iran brutality
At news conference, he criticizes 'threats, beatings and imprisonments'

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Tuesday criticized Iran for cracking down on protesters, declaring that the United States and the entire world are "appalled and outraged" — a clear toughening of his rhetoric as Republican critics at home accuse him of being too passive.

Obama condemned the "threats, beatings and imprisonments of the last few days."

"I strongly condemn these unjust actions," he added.

"I have made it clear that the United States respects the sovereignty of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and is not interfering in Iran's affairs," Obama said. "But we must also bear witness to the courage and dignity of the Iranian people, and to a remarkable opening within Iranian society. And we deplore violence against innocent civilians anywhere that it takes place."

Cites woman who died
Obama noted the killing of a young woman, Neda Agha Soltan, whose apparent shooting death was captured on video and circulated worldwide.

"We have seen courageous women stand up to brutality and threats, and we have experienced the searing image of a woman bleeding to death on the streets," Obama said. "While this loss is raw and painful, we also know this: Those who stand up for justice are always on the right side of history."

Asked if he still was hoping to start talks with Iran on issues like its nuclear program,

Obama didn't rule out shifting U.S. strategy.

"We are going to monitor and see how this plays itself out before we make any adjustments about how we proceed," the president said.

Obama said the United States has provided a path for Iran to reach out to the international community and engage with global powers.

"It is up to them to make a decision about whether they choose that path," Obama said. He added that the outlook "obviously is not encouraging in terms of the path that this regime may choose to take."

'Entirely consistent'
Obama forcefully countered the idea that he's been slow to forcefully respond to Iran's violent crackdown on dissent.

"I don't think that's accurate," Obama said. "Track what I've been saying."

The president said he quickly responded after the election results and after violence broke out in the streets of Tehran, and that the United States has frequently condemned infringements on the freedom of assembly and speech for Iranians.

"We've been entirely consistent," Obama said.

NBC's Chuck Todd asked the president to spell out what consequences Iran might face if its crackdown continues.

Obama refused since "we don't know how this will play out. I know everyone here is on a 24-hour news cycle. I am not."