And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 07:32:26 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 22, 2009, 11:04:04 PM
Good thing that even now Obama is still sucking up to the Ayatollah's, according to the AFP:

So what should we be doing Hans?  Bombing Tehran?

I would jerk off to that. Cluster bombing the fucks would make me happy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 23, 2009, 06:50:13 AM
Quote from: Warspite on June 23, 2009, 04:57:35 AM
Denying the Iranian diplomatic representatives some BBQ rib action on July 4 would have no doubt sent the regime crashing down in Tehran. Another missed opportunity.

:rolleyes: So you think the proper response to the ayatollahs massacring their own people in a desperate gambit to cling to power is to invite them over to BBQ?  At least Obama makes it clear whith whom he stands.

When you express the requisite outrage at, say, the representatives of the Saudis, Chinese or any of the other unsavoury regimes being invited also, perhaps your point would have some salience. Otherwise it's just partisan wailing.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on June 22, 2009, 05:15:04 PM
I think this is precisely right.  Psellus has a very distorted, romanticized view of Iranians. Progressive and yearning to be part of the West they are not.
One thing I love about Languish is the invincible ignorance of so many of its posters.  Posturing like this, in complete ignorance of the actual situation, is so amusing I keep coming back.

It amuses me, though, that some people, like Mono, still think they can learn much here that is true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: Jaron on June 22, 2009, 05:15:04 PM
I think this is precisely right.  Psellus has a very distorted, romanticized view of Iranians. Progressive and yearning to be part of the West they are not.
One thing I love about Languish is the invincible ignorance of so many of its posters.  Posturing like this, in complete ignorance of the actual situation, is so amusing I keep coming back.

It amuses me, though, that some people, like Mono, still think they can learn much here that is true.
To be fair, half of those people is Jaron and the rest are trolls. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on June 23, 2009, 07:26:54 AM
1. It's not ayatollahs vs people. I't a more a set of ayatollahs against another. Mousavi is no western style democrat but an ex-Foreign Minister and Prime Minister in the 'Islamic Republic'. As 'apparatchik' as you can get without a black robe and a turban, in fact.
I agree with all of this, but would add that there are more actual factions than just these.  The affair started as a struglle between factions of apparatchiks, but has become more complex, with the mobilization of people who want to be "modern" and want their country to be accepted by the West as a civilized major power.  This faction (and it is huge) wants decent jobs, the ability to travel around the world, freedom of expression (including the elimination of religious dictates on dress), and a vote that counts.

I would note that they don't sing Kumbaya around the campfire; for instance, they think Iran deserves to have nuclear weapons just like Israel and India, and they have generally swallowed the party line on Israelis being bullies, though they don't want war with Israel.

Just how far Mousavi would support their aspirations is a good question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2009, 02:47:32 PM
Somewhat parallel to Bush I remaining silent when the Berlin Wall came down. Martinus, can you give some insight into Eastern Europe's thoughts (if any) on Bush not speaking up?

The Berlin Wall coming down was not something that was really seen as big, at least not in Poland. Remember that at that time we already had a democratic government going in Poland (so it wasn't really seen as a milestone event, but a consequences of Poland's earlier emancipation - if anything, the prospect of Germany uniting was seem with some trepidation in Poland, as at the time I think West Germany still hasn't fully recognized our Western border) and there was a universal sentiment that we have full American backing. Of course I was a kid back then so may not remember the details.

I think it is a big mistake to view the entire Eastern Bloc as a single entity in terms of political sentiments at that point in history (or any point before or after, for that matter). For example, attitudes towards the US were (and are) distinctly different in Poland and Germany.

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on June 23, 2009, 07:48:21 AM
To be fair, half of those people is Jaron and the rest are trolls.
Isn't this a distinction without a difference?  J-dog should stick to humorous trolling, which is his long suit.  This pseudo-expertise trolling isn't his forte.

Bayraktar!

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2009, 07:52:52 AM

Isn't this a distinction without a difference?  J-dog should stick to humorous trolling, which is his long suit.  This pseudo-expertise trolling isn't his forte.

Yes, but then you would miss out on the fat joke.

Martinus

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 22, 2009, 10:36:11 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 02:41:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 02:39:08 PM
They are waiting for some encouraging words from Obama.  Without them they are doomed.

I'm not sure it would do more help or harm. I suspect many Iranians may hate their clerical regime, but they do not have much love for America either. And I'd think that trying to portray the protests as a foreign interference may be the only thing that could help the regime.

So the protesters are carrying signs written in english to practice for their ESL exam?

English is the language of international communication. Even AQ use it. It's a bit of a stretch to automatically assume that anyone using English to express their political goals is automatically perceiving the US as an ally.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 08:03:03 AM
English is the language of international communication.

The lingua franca, as it were.   :D

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: Jaron on June 22, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
I'm sick already about hearing about this Neda bitch.
Who? Pics plz  :)
The martyr, read the thread, there's pics and vidoe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I don't care enough to read the thread.  Nothing is going to change in Iran.  You people are living in a fantasy world.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2009, 09:09:15 AM
Who? Pics plz  :)

From what I gather she is a sexy female version of Jesus Christ, only more noble.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."