News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

It's all Obama's fault. President Ryan would already killed Khamenei with his bare hands.

KRonn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31481798/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

Police attack hundreds of protesters in Tehran
Revolutionary Guard vows to step in; Iran says 10 died Saturday

TEHRAN, Iran - Riot police attacked hundreds of demonstrators with tear gas and fired live bullets into the air to disperse a rally in central Tehran Monday, carrying out a threat by the country's most powerful security force to crush any further protests over the disputed presidential election.

Helicopters hovered overhead as several hundred protesters gathered at Haft-e-Tir Square. Hundreds of anti-riot police quickly put an end to the demonstration.

Witnesses said police at the scene tried to prevent any gathering, even small groups. At the square's subway station, police did not allow anyone to stand still, asking them to keep walking and separating people who were walking together.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Perhaps momentum is fading.

Oh well they had a good run.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2009, 01:09:53 PM

Not Neda. :(

Slightly more reasonable moderates rarely make good revolutionaries.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

Well, we will see if things change, or probably more like faster changes over time, even if the actual protest numbers subside. The governmental thug groups can suppress demonstrators by force but I have to think the regime loses legitimacy by doing so, as has been stated by those knowledgeable and following events. And the regime also loses legitimacy by not addressing the issues that people are out demonstrating against. According to some reports, the ruling leaders/council have lost somewhat here, and are split among themselves. Or maybe this opens the way for the President of Iran to gain more power at the ruling council's expense. Or what ever other course this all may accelerate, if any. Time and events will tell.

jimmy olsen

From what I'm reading it seems like the government has so many security forces and troops in the cities now that as soon as a group of protesters start gathering they're able to pounce on them and crush them before they can gain momentum and size.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

These things can fade up or fade back.  The French thought they had dealth with Algeria in the 50s, until one day, seemingly miraculously, every native in the country went apeshit.  That'll be a lot easier when cell phones and the internet come back.

Not to mention it is a lot harder to send people to jail for striking. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Warspite

Equally the people might be regrouping. I believe a mourning protest is planned on Wednesday. A few days of relative calm allows the decentralised protestors to gather numbers.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

They are waiting for some encouraging words from Obama.  Without them they are doomed.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 02:39:08 PM
They are waiting for some encouraging words from Obama.  Without them they are doomed.

I'm not sure it would do more help or harm. I suspect many Iranians may hate their clerical regime, but they do not have much love for America either. And I'd think that trying to portray the protests as a foreign interference may be the only thing that could help the regime.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 02:41:15 PM
I'm not sure it would do more help or harm. I suspect many Iranians may hate their clerical regime, but they do not have much love for America either. And I'd think that trying to portray the protests as a foreign interference may be the only thing that could help the regime.
That certainly fits in with the conventional wisdom being pushed by the US media.  It could even be true.

alfred russel

Somewhat parallel to Bush I remaining silent when the Berlin Wall came down. Martinus, can you give some insight into Eastern Europe's thoughts (if any) on Bush not speaking up?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 02:45:30 PM
That certainly fits in with the conventional wisdom being pushed by the US media.  It could even be true.
The US media is also pushing the conventional wisdom that the US media is dead wrong about this.

One of the nice things about citing "the US media" as a source is that you can say pretty much anything you like, and it will be true!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

I'm sick already about hearing about this Neda bitch.
Winner of THE grumbler point.