News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on June 22, 2009, 02:52:04 PM
I'm sick already about hearing about this Neda bitch.
How about you go and get shot for protesting instead then.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 02:45:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 02:41:15 PM
I'm not sure it would do more help or harm. I suspect many Iranians may hate their clerical regime, but they do not have much love for America either. And I'd think that trying to portray the protests as a foreign interference may be the only thing that could help the regime.
That certainly fits in with the conventional wisdom being pushed by the US media.  It could even be true.
It could provide propaganda to the regime, but I have to think that by now the people won't believe that anyway. This has gone beyond using the US as a reason for the government to crackdown;Iran's leaders have a big problem all of their own making. Not that the govt wouldn't necessarily dredge the US up as reason to help legitimize their nasty actions. But it would just be more thuggery by another guise and people there surely know it.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2009, 02:53:40 PM

You realize his powers only work when you respond, right?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on June 22, 2009, 03:19:11 PM

It is Tim. He has 'SUCKER' printed on his forehead.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 22, 2009, 03:19:11 PM

I know and I don't care.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I don't know what 'power' Habbaku refers to, but its stupid people are trying to make her into the very essence of the Iranian future. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing and paid the price for it.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on June 22, 2009, 04:09:02 PM
She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing and paid the price for it.

Not very nice thing to say about your Mom getting pregnant with you :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on June 22, 2009, 04:12:29 PM
She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing and paid the price for it.

Well at least the mail man was at the right place at the right time doing the wrong thing and got off scott free.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 02:39:08 PM
They are waiting for some encouraging words from Obama.  Without them they are doomed.

:lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

I don't know what 'power' Habbaku refers to, but its stupid people are trying to make her into the very essence of the Iranian future. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing and paid the price for it.
Give it up, J-dog.  This is Neil's shtick and he does it infinitely better than you do.  You just aren't enough of an asshole to carry this attitude off without looking silly.  :console:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Quote from: katmai on June 22, 2009, 04:12:29 PM

Clever. :mellow:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I'm not bothering to read 38 pages of this useless thread, no doubt filled with the usual delusional "ZOMG TEH IRANIANS PIPPLE ARE ALL UNDER 30 THEY WILL CHANGE FROM WIFFIN" posts from all you suckers who actually think any of this is going to make any fucking difference.
Wake up and smell the coffee, fuckheads.

Jaron

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2009, 05:13:33 PM
I'm not bothering to read 38 pages of this useless thread, no doubt filled with the usual delusional "ZOMG TEH IRANIANS PIPPLE ARE ALL UNDER 30 THEY WILL CHANGE FROM WIFFIN" posts from all you suckers who actually think any of this is going to make any fucking difference.
Wake up and smell the coffee, fuckheads.

I think this is precisely right.  Psellus has a very distorted, romanticized view of Iranians. Progressive and yearning to be part of the West they are not.