News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

After seeing viper post about it several times, I finally decided to update from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

Restarted computer and then got told I had no boot disk. Tried a bunch of different things (automatic repair, restore, etc.) but none of them panned out.

Then when I was looking up this issue online (many places were trying to suggest to people their hard drive had died after installing 8.1...), I saw a suggestion that I should unplug my other HDs (leaving only the one with Windows installation). Sounded silly but I tried.

That's what successfully allowed me to use my computer again. I guess if it isn't broke...don't fix it? :D

That said - I do like that it seems to scale my desktop better - making fonts way easier to read.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Thanks for this.  I will remember not to update to 8.1.

sbr

I will remember not to downgrade from 7 to 8.

viper37

Didn't have any problem upgrading on my computers, except one, but I discovered it was a faulty motherboard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 18, 2014, 10:51:19 PM
I will remember not to downgrade from 7 to 8.

8 seems faster than 7. With Classic shell installed you can have start menu/desktop view.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2014, 01:10:53 AM
Didn't have any problem upgrading on my computers, except one, but I discovered it was a faulty motherboard.

Apparently it isn't so uncommon* and has something to do with computers failing to recognize the appropriate drive (and hence in this case, me unhooking power to my other drives).

Either way, I was close to cursing about  you. :D -_-

*though bizarrely most sites I found didn't seem to have a good answer on what to do.

Grey Fox

To be fair, the boot issue has been happenning with all versions of Windows since Win 98.

It has never handle multi-hdd at installation scenarios well.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 20, 2014, 07:38:01 AM
To be fair, the boot issue has been happenning with all versions of Windows since Win 98.

It has never handle multi-hdd at installation scenarios well.

Gotcha.

Well the other negative I noted is that I think it screwed up my display. I realized everything is easier to read - mainly because I'm forced to adopt a smaller resolution. My old resolution either hangs off the screen or several of them have wavy lines that run up the screen.  Unfortunately, I can't do much as my tv/monitor doesn't have any ways to change screen position (to correct overhang) and my oem computer doesn't have anyway to adjust position either. <_<

Grey Fox

Is your PC connected to your TV with HDMI? Rename/Configuration the HDMI slot on the TV to PC/Computer if it is possible.

garbon

So I realized it hadn't been. I was actually connected computer to tv on DVI/VGA.  I had the HDMI cord for my PS3, so went ahead and tried connecting with that cable instead.

That wasn't very good as it only let me have settings of 1280 x 720 @ 60hz (bad as not really an ideal resolution size though picture quality was clear) or 1980 x 1080 @ 30hz interlaced (not usable as there was some general vibrating of image - just bad).

At this point I'm start to think that I either: a) need a new video card, which would free me from my OEM settings and/or b) get a new television, as my current one is 7 years old and screen was starting to go.

Though at the moment, I'm just sulking as this new issue emerged from the 8.1 upgrade. -_-

Grey Fox

Yeah, that must really suck.

garbon

:hmm:

I walked at lunch to the nearest store (the fabulous Best Buy...). TVs are way cheaper and way lighter than they were 7 years ago. I remember my main limiting factor was that I wanted something I could carry up to my apartment by myself (and wouldn't eat up my new paycheck). It looks like options have really opened up these days.

Grey Fox

Yes, TV could only grow so big. Not a lot of people feel like owning a 90 inches. 4k or not.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2014, 02:24:56 PM
(the fabulous Best Buy...)
:(

Did you buy any redundant warranties or absurdly overpriced mithril-plated cables? :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

No, I didn't purchase a thing. -_-