And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1

Started by garbon, May 18, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2014, 01:10:53 AM
Didn't have any problem upgrading on my computers, except one, but I discovered it was a faulty motherboard.

Apparently it isn't so uncommon* and has something to do with computers failing to recognize the appropriate drive (and hence in this case, me unhooking power to my other drives).

Either way, I was close to cursing about  you. :D -_-

*though bizarrely most sites I found didn't seem to have a good answer on what to do.
Well, it is recommended you unplug everything but the OS drive before installing/upgrading Windows.  Never you about that until recently.  Now I understand why my office computer crashed after Win8.1 upgrade... unrecoverable crash, I had to reinstall Windows twice already, and I just realized I made a mistake that last time, didn't boot into UEFI.  Fuck it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

So if I'm building a new computer and plan to install Windows 8.1 on a SSD, should I just plug that in for the installation, and plug the HDDs later?

garbon

I would suggest yes. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on May 21, 2014, 03:14:39 PM
So if I'm building a new computer and plan to install Windows 8.1 on a SSD, should I just plug that in for the installation, and plug the HDDs later?

Yes, it is the recommended method, apparently.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

So will Windows 10 be a version worth buying? I mean, Windows 95 - no, 98 - yes, ME - no, XP - yes, Vista - no, 7 - yes, 8 - no, there's a pattern evolving.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

You left out Windows 3.1 :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2014, 02:29:13 PM
You left out Windows 3.1 :(

I never had the option to buy that as an upgrade, it came pre-installed on our first IBM.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Vricklund

I liked win2k too, so the pattern isn't obvious.  :)

Win7 is probably the last windows version that I'll use on my home machines. Android and debian derivatives cuts down on my family support time so it's the natural way to go.

DGuller

Windows ME was pure garbage in my experience.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Seriously.  It even killed the product tree, since they chose to develop 2K from the NT codebase instead.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 01, 2014, 02:55:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Seriously.  It even killed the product tree, since they chose to develop 2K from the NT codebase instead.

I had Windows NT back in the day.  It rocked as an OS (and was miles ahead of Mac OS 9 at the time  :ph34r:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2014, 02:26:32 PM
So will Windows 10 be a version worth buying? I mean, Windows 95 - no, 98 - yes, ME - no, XP - yes, Vista - no, 7 - yes, 8 - no, there's a pattern evolving.
Windows 2.0 - no, Windows 3.0 - no, Windows 3.1 - yes, Windows 3.11 - yes, Windows 95 - yes, Windows 98 - yes, Windows 98B - yes and I agree with the rest.  Though tbh, Vista with Service pack #1 was ok.  But seven was way better. And Windows 8 with Start8 is mostly great.

celedhring

Windows 95 blew me away at the time... booting straight into a graphic interface and doing away with line commands? Hell yes.

(and don't tell me about MacIntosh, we had Macs at school and they sucked)

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on October 02, 2014, 04:44:41 AM
(and don't tell me about MacIntosh, we had Macs at school and they sucked)

Indeed, we had both Macs and Windows, it was hell when the teacher booked the Mac room for a writing session after she had booked the Windows room for the previous one. FORMAT PLZ.

celedhring

It was worse in our school; the computer room had a majority of PCs and then a couple Macs. If you arrived late to class you'd be stuck with a Mac regardless of what computer you'd been working on before.