Main Menu

UN Starts Talks on 'Killer Robots'

Started by 11B4V, May 13, 2014, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

and Timay rejoices.

UN Starts Talks on 'Killer Robots'
Rights groups worried about machines programmed to kill

(Newser) – It sounds like a panel discussion worthy of Comic Con, but this four-day summit on "lethal autonomous robots" is instead taking place under the auspices of the UN Convention on Conventional Weapons in Geneva, reports AFP. The premise is simple enough: Groups such as Human Rights Watch are worried that nations will begin deploying killer robots in the not-too-distant future to indiscriminately kill humans, and they want to get moratoriums in place to stop their development, reports al-Jazeera America.

"We don't see how these inanimate machines could understand or respect the value of life, yet they would have the power to determine when to take it away," says one arms expert for Human Rights Watch. "The only answer is a preemptive ban on fully autonomous weapons." Early versions of such machines are already surfacing. Drones are close, but humans still decide when and where they kill, notes the Verge. Critics are worried that drones or similar machines of the future wouldn't have such restrictions. The story points out that South Korea already uses sentry robots that can be programmed to shoot intruders who don't know the right password. The summit that begins today is seen as the first step toward a international rules.

http://www.newser.com/story/186825/un-starts-talks-on-killer-robots.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

It is when the UN starts holding talks *with* the killer robots that we should start to get worried.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2014, 05:28:14 PM
It is when the UN starts holding talks *with* the killer robots that we should start to get worried.  ;)
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grinning_Colossus

Warbots could be programmed to adhere to the rules of war. Panicked and angry soldiers shoot civilians all the time, but properly programmed warbots wouldn't -- and if/when they did, their governments could be held more directly accountable.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

11Bravo would be all about mechs, but at his age they're just too goddamned uncomfortable to get in and out of.

Ideologue

I wish the UN had killer robots.  This experiment in sovereignty hasn't really worked out.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Imagine the killer robots in the hands of North Korea's Kim.  No need to worry about revolts, ever. 

Habbaku

Quote from: Monoriu on May 13, 2014, 10:27:44 PM
Imagine the killer robots in the hands of North Korea's Kim.  No need to worry about revolts, ever.

What's life like in North Korea?

Can't complain.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on May 13, 2014, 10:27:44 PM

He could only afford the one, so I think his current fleshmatons do the job nicely.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2014, 10:07:01 PM
11Bravo would be all about mechs, but at his age they're just too goddamned uncomfortable to get in and out of.

Too old to do that road marching shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2014, 05:20:32 PM
The story points out that South Korea already uses sentry robots that can be programmed to shoot intruders who don't know the right password.

That's pretty metal! :punk:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

When killer robots are outlawed only outlaws will have killer robots.
PDH!