News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Big Stuff ?

Started by mongers, May 12, 2014, 04:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I only just realised this, but for every 5 people on earth there's around one cubic kilometre of ocean. 

Didn't expect it to be that large an amount.

Any issues of scale or magnitude* that have surprised you?

* knob jokes expected.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

It always surprises me just how short most people are - when I look down every now and then.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on May 12, 2014, 04:57:15 PM
I only just realised this, but for every 5 people on earth there's around one cubic kilometre of ocean. 

I remember as a kid going fossil collecting with my dad, and being struck like a hammer with the notion of "deep time". The fossils we were collecting were of creatures from a time so old that vertebrates did not exist yet ... just inconceivably old. Ordovician, around 480 million years ago ... yet there they were, under our picks. It gave me a sort of mental vertigo that is difficult to explain.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 12, 2014, 04:57:15 PM

I remember as a kid going fossil collecting with my dad, and being struck like a hammer with the notion of "deep time". The fossils we were collecting were of creatures from a time so old that vertebrates did not exist yet ... just inconceivably old. Ordovician, around 480 million years ago ... yet there they were, under our picks. It gave me a sort of mental vertigo that is difficult to explain.

Yes that's a good one.

It is almost unimaginably long ago.  :outback:

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2014, 04:59:32 PM
It always surprises me just how short most people are - when I look down every now and then.

So you're permanently stuck in an early 1960s comedy sketch?    :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
It gave me a sort of mental vertigo that is difficult to explain.

Now you get a sense of what it is like to be around so many short people.

Norgy

I've grown downwards the past ten years.

Viking

that the moon is about 10 earth circumferences away from earth.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

That whatever it is that powers quasars, it is vastly more efficient than nuclear fusion, the most efficient power generation process of which we are aware.

Quasars (and blazars and the rest of that class of galactic nuclei) are just cool and mind-bending in general.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2014, 05:50:05 PM
mind-bending in general.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 05:51:25 PM
mind-bending in general.

Why would I need to think of quasars for that when I'm six foot three?  You all look short to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2014, 08:32:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 05:51:25 PM
mind-bending in general.

Why would I need to think of quasars for that when I'm six foot three?  You all look short to me.

At 6'3" you as tall as my children.

When you grow up let me know.

DGuller

Back when I was far less educated about computer science, I remember being struck by the full implication of what an exponential run time entails, usually after bumping into it the hard way. 

Want to try a brute-force approach that tries every combination of 5 lowercase letters?  Sure, write a very clever and efficient code, and wait a couple of minutes.  Want to move up to 10 characters?  It'll finish when you retire.  Want to try 15 characters?  The sun will probably go out before you're done.

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on May 12, 2014, 09:10:57 PM
Back when I was far less educated about computer science, I remember being struck by the full implication of what an exponential run time entails, usually after bumping into it the hard way. 

Want to try a brute-force approach that tries every combination of 5 lowercase letters?  Sure, write a very clever and efficient code, and wait a couple of minutes.  Want to move up to 10 characters?  It'll finish when you retire.  Want to try 15 characters?  The sun will probably go out before you're done.

What about adding capital letters or *gasp* a special symbol or two? 

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on May 12, 2014, 09:13:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 12, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

What about adding capital letters or *gasp* a special symbol or two?
:hmm: It's going to take even longer.