And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. H.R. Giger

Started by Syt, May 13, 2014, 03:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.thelocal.ch/20140513/swiss-surrealist-designer-for-alien-film-dies

QuoteSwiss surrealist designer for Alien film dies

Hans Rudolph Giger, the Swiss artist renowned for his visual effects work on the film Alien, has died at the age of 74, Swiss broadcaster SRF reported online on Tuesday.

The surrealist painter, sculptor and set designer, known as H.R. Giger, died in hospital following a fall, according to the report.

A native of the canton of Graubünden, he was best known for his design of Alien, an American science-fiction horror film from 1979 directed by Ridley Scott, and was part of the special effects team that won an Academy Award the following year.

Giger's design for the film was inspired by his painting Necronom IV.

He was known for his airbrushed silver and grey canvasses depicting nightmarish dreamscapes and "biomechanical" human figures linked to machines.

Born in Chur in 1940, he studied architecture and industrial art at Zurich's University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW).

A friend of Timothy Leary who was influcenced by surrealist painter Salvador Dali, he reportedly suffered from nightmares that he said inspired some of his work.

Books of his paintings and use of his art for music albums and in publications, such as the American science and science fiction Omni, led to his rise in international fame.

His artwork adorned the cover of albums by artists such as Emerson Lake & Palmer, the Dead Kennedys and French singer Mylène Farmer.

In addition, to Alien, Giger was also involved in films such as Poltergeist II (1986), Alien III (1992) and Species (1995). 

In 1998, Giger acquired the Château St. Germain in Gruyères, a village in the canton of Fribourg, to house his work in the H.R. Giger Museum.

He lived and worked in Zurich-Seebach, SRF said.

:( I really enjoyed his art (a lot of which is NSFW to post). :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

:(

RIP

Xenomorphs, the beast nightmare are made of.

grumbler

RIP.  Truly an original voice in art; much copied, never mastered.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

My Giger counter reading just went down one :(

The Brain

In death he probably gave birth to new life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2014, 03:28:03 AM
:( I really enjoyed his art (a lot of which is NSFW to post). :(

In space, no-one can see it's a giant penis.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius