What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2014, 08:19:43 AM

Let's assume for the sake of argument Raz is right and that such people are delusional.

What difference does it make? Either they are suffering from a genuine condition, or they are suffering from a delusion. As far as I know, there is no evidence that this "delusion" can be cured by any therapy we know of (or at least I have never heard of any). In either case, the only "cure" we currently have is to physically change their gender.

Assuming that is the case, I see no real difference between calling it a "delusion" and calling it a "condition".
We can urge them to snap out of it.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Ideologue

Malthus, I'd expect you not to buy into this false definition of "delusion."

Under that definition, gay dudes are just people who are deluded into believing they want to fuck men.

I assume it's because Raz and Spice either don't have or reject the sex/gender dichotomy framework the issue is usually discussed in.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2014, 08:34:23 AM
Have you heard of a Benghazi attack?  I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't, Obama covered it up.

Yes ... still don't get the Hillary reference.

Sadly, US political humour really is not universal.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 08, 2014, 08:38:21 AM
Malthus, I'd expect you not to buy into this false definition of "delusion."

Under that definition, gay dudes are just people who are deluded into believing they want to fuck men.

I assume it's because Raz and Spice either don't have or reject the sex/gender dichotomy framework the issue is usually discussed in.

I'm not.

If you read my posts, the point I'm making is that even assuming their position is true, it makes no difference.

That isn't the same as me believing their position is true.

Ideologue

Even assuming the sky is green doesn't mean green means blue. -_-  I'm gonna quit before I get to grumbler levels of semantic argument though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2014, 08:38:47 AM
Have you heard of a Benghazi attack?  I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't, Obama covered it up.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/may/07/context-hillary-clintons-what-difference-does-it-m/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 08, 2014, 08:43:34 AM
Even assuming the sky is green doesn't mean green means blue. -_-  I'm gonna quit before I get to grumbler levels of semantic argument though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinction_of_blue_and_green_in_various_languages

QuoteMany languages do not differentiate between certain colors on the visible spectrum and do not have separate terms for blue and green.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2014, 08:47:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2014, 08:38:47 AM

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2013/may/07/context-hillary-clintons-what-difference-does-it-m/

My bad. I really ought to have the minutes to the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearings of years past memorized. Silly me.  ;)

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2014, 08:50:50 AM
My bad. I really ought to have the minutes to the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearings of years past memorized. Silly me.  ;)

:rolleyes:  You asked for the context.  I've used the "What difference does it make" line multiple times here to successfully bait Seedy.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2014, 08:49:51 AM

QuoteMany languages do not differentiate between certain colors on the visible spectrum and do not have separate terms for blue and green.

Yeah, yeah.  The still distinguish between shades. :P
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 08, 2014, 09:02:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2014, 08:49:51 AM

Yeah, yeah.  The still distinguish between shades. :P

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/09/cocktail-glossary-parts-of-a-pot-still-distillation-terms-dictionary.html

:hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2014, 08:55:32 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2014, 08:50:50 AM

:rolleyes:  You asked for the context.  I've used the "What difference does it make" line multiple times here to successfully bait Seedy.
I hate to tell you this, but rolling your eyes because someone doesn't get your inside jokes just makes you look like an ass.

The phrase "what difference does it make?" didn't originate with Hillary Clinton.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!