News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2014

Started by Liep, May 06, 2014, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The winner song seems stolen from a James Bond film.

Josephus

America should have a similar thing.

Of course, they would call it Worldvision Contest

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2014, 06:20:50 PM

:bleeding: It would all be like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDy8HEg1QY
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

And people say Sweden doesn't produce good music.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2014, 06:20:50 PM

The now-extinct OTI Festival was already contested by all American nations except them dirty anglosaxons.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2014, 06:26:11 PM
And people say Sweden doesn't produce good music.  :wacko:

:wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvTLvkiAbI (NSFW if you're in some kind of socially conservative hellhole)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

I remember the vid somebody did of that song with naked wow characters.

Sheilbh

That's nice.

Part of me wanted Russia to win just to see Putin try and host a non-gay Eurovision. A larger part of me was happy a bearded drag act won and, amazingly, won with votes from countries I didn't expect.

It was a bit awkward whenever a country gave Russia points and the whole crowd booed (and when they went to get the votes from Russia and Belarus). I think Graham Norton was right, whenever it cut to the Russian singers, when he said they're only 17 and it's not their fault so it's a bit of a shame.

This will be probably be Britain's entry next year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL1zs4OKYAU
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Austrians with dodgy beards taking on Europe, out to win? I remain wary.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

So apparently Russia was upset there was a drag act at the gay Olympics? :lol:
I hope next year is extra super gay, just to troll Russia.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I'm confused. All this focus on boobs doesn't sound like a rockin' fun gay ol' time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Perhaps the focus on boobs is more prevalent on Languish than in the event itself.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2014, 01:32:04 PM
There are also lots of acts that rarely leave their home countries, for instance German speaking bands which are rarely known outside of its cultural area. Same with Italians. Their music scenes are vibrant but purely domestic.

That kind of thing came as a big shock to me when I first lived abroad. It's hard to imagine a band in the uk remaining regional but successful (to give a population size equivalent to smaller European countries)
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 10, 2014, 05:35:24 PM
The winner song seems stolen from a James Bond film.

That was my original impression, too.

Anyways, I look forward to a year of Austrian smugness and hype up for the local Eurovision.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
So apparently Russia was upset there was a drag act at the gay Olympics? :lol:
I hope next year is extra super gay, just to troll Russia.

I think this year will be hard to top. I remember when lordi won there was some controversy in russia (the runner up) that it was all an anti russian conspiracy. Russia`s problem may be that they think they are european, and thus dont get why the contest doesnt fit into their cultural norms. Such as not really taking it seriously.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014