Tourism destinations near Birmingham (AL) or Atlanta

Started by Zanza, May 06, 2014, 03:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

World of Coca-Cola is pretty good. At least it was 10 years ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I enjoyed the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning. There is a small museum about the Tuskegee Airmen just across the border from Columbus in...Tuskegee.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

There is a rocket park in Huntsville. That's where space camp is, but I haven't actually visited the NASA stuff there myself.

Apparently, Huntsville is the most highly educated city in America.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2014, 10:04:40 AM
World of Coca-Cola is pretty good. At least it was 10 years ago.

It was completely redone a few years ago. I was trying to find the cost but couldn't, but I think it was in the 9 figures, and Georgia gave a shitload of tax breaks for it. Now it has a 4D "ride" and a nicer building. Less of a museum now.

The aquarium was built next door (I don't think that was there 10 years ago) and it is close to Centennial Olympic Park. The Ferris Wheel is also in walking distance (though a bit of a walk). The idea is that will be a tourist center. Each of the 3 charging attractions are a bit expensive so it can be a pricey day out if you want to hit all 3. I'd skip all of them, unless you are really into Coca-Cola.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 06, 2014, 11:43:16 AM
I enjoyed the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning. There is a small museum about the Tuskegee Airmen just across the border from Columbus in...Tuskegee.

Andersonville is worth checking out, but that is not along the way. It is going south though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Zanza

Thanks for the tips. :)

Aquarium - I always get headaches in aquariums, so I'll pass

Coca-Cola Museum - might be worth it for the sheer cheesy 'Muricaness of the thing

Stone Mountain - looks interesting, but wouldn't take more than an hour or two to see, right?

CNN Center - not that interested

MLK Museum - hmm, I don't really have much of a clue about MLK, so this might be interesting

Rocket City in Huntsville looks interesting, but I've been to Kennedy Space Center before...

The Varsity - Looks tasty enough, why not

Ferris Wheel - you don't make it sound that fabulous...

Kennesaw Mountain - ACW is not that interesting for me, but the park/wildlife trek sounds interesting

Cyclorama - not a big history/ACW nerd

Etowah - that would perhaps interest me

Okefenokee Swamp - I've been in the Everglades and this actually sounds fun

Infantry Museum/Tuskegee Airmen - hmm, not that interested in military history

All of the sights only sound somewhat interesting to be honest... ;)

What if I have say 4 days (Thursday to Sunday):

Would it make sense to fly to Atlanta and go to the Great Smoky Mountains and do a two day trail there or two one day trails there?
Would it make sense to fly to Birmingham and go to New Orleans & maybe something else on the Gulf Coast?
Or I could fly to Atlanta, so I arrive on Thursday, get my bags and check into a private flight to somewhere else nearby and come back on Sunday... hmm ...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2014, 08:42:26 AM
UAB probably has frats too though.

There were some decent bars & restaurants near UAB when I was there like 7 years ago :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

I am like ten years older than your average frat party goer, so I don't think I would still fit in. :(

derspiess

The places I went were not a frat party-type scene.  There were plenty of people in there in their 30s.  Can't remember any names of the places, though :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2014, 01:55:51 PM
What if I have say 4 days (Thursday to Sunday):

Would it make sense to fly to Atlanta and go to the Great Smoky Mountains and do a two day trail there or two one day trails there?
Would it make sense to fly to Birmingham and go to New Orleans & maybe something else on the Gulf Coast?
Or I could fly to Atlanta, so I arrive on Thursday, get my bags and check into a private flight to somewhere else nearby and come back on Sunday... hmm ...

I think it would make a lot of sense to go to the moutains for a couple of days. Just keep in mind these mountains aren't the alps.

It would also make sense to catch a flight somewhere else--Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world, so you can find many flights to all parts of the US. :)

If you want to go somewhere else, Charleston > New Orleans. The drive from Birmingham to New Orleans is probably comparable to the drive from Atlanta to Charleston.

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2014, 02:31:53 PM
If you want to go somewhere else, Charleston > New Orleans. The drive from Birmingham to New Orleans is probably comparable to the drive from Atlanta to Charleston.

About 4.5 hours Charleston -> Atlanta and 5 hours Birmingham -> New Orleans.

Also, the drive from Birmingham to New Orleans is through some of the most deserted, miserable country it will ever be your displeasure to see (although you can wave at Scipio's house - during business hours - as you drive by).

Charleston probably does have better historical tourist destinations, particularly naval, but New Orleans is a lot of fun.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
Also, the drive from Birmingham to New Orleans is through some of the most deserted, miserable country it will ever be your displeasure to see (although you can wave at Scipio's house - during business hours - as you drive by).

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2014, 02:09:33 PM
I am like ten years older than your average frat party goer, so I don't think I would still fit in. :(

Exactly.  You walk up to the door, put on your thickest German accent and say you've seen documentaries about American frat life and wanted to investigate.  It would be sort of like going to a black church.  Your people eat that shit up.

If it's doable,  definitely hit N'awlins  instead of Atlanta.

alfred russel

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2014, 02:48:13 PM

On the other hand, I think the road to Charleston passes through Ide's neck of the woods, so you have to keep your head on a swivel for a reckless drunk driver that could be coming from any direction.