Tourism destinations near Birmingham (AL) or Atlanta

Started by Zanza, May 06, 2014, 03:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2014, 02:51:44 PM
If it's doable,  definitely hit N'awlins  instead of Atlanta.

Bleh. Half of New Orleans moved to Atlanta after the hurricane anyway.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

New Orleans is a great place to visit once or twice.  Not nearly as fun if you're alone, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
Also, the drive from Birmingham to New Orleans is through some of the most deserted, miserable country it will ever be your displeasure to see

After southeastern California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, Louisiana looks like heaven on earth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2014, 02:57:09 PM
On the other hand, I think the road to Charleston passes through Ide's neck of the woods, so you have to keep your head on a swivel for a reckless drunk driver that could be coming from any direction.
Be sure to take him to Maurice's.  It's a great place to take a vegetarian out to eat. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

There are a couple of great breweries and brewpubs.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Zanza

Meh, due to other private obligations I will now fly to Atlanta on Sunday and drive to Birmingham, work Monday to Friday and fly back on Saturday afternoon. I guess I'll not have time to see anything at all. So just about the only thing I will be able to do is having some Alabama BBQ. :( I may be able to come back later in the year though...

lustindarkness

Oh man, I missed this thread. You'll be in Bham next week? We can go for some BBQ ribs. What hours will you be working?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Dorsey's list on the first page is great.  I'll just say avoid the State Department building and MLK and Forsyth in general.  It's like Mad Max.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2014, 01:55:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. :)

Aquarium - I always get headaches in aquariums, so I'll pass

Actually, if you're going to skip the aquarium, I'd say not bother going to ATL period.  There are trees and swamps and restaurants everywhere in this country.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 28, 2014, 01:31:41 PM
Oh man, I missed this thread. You'll be in Bham next week? We can go for some BBQ ribs. What hours will you be working?

Just cuz he's a Kraut he doesn't get the Rican  nipple show? :(

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2014, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2014, 02:57:09 PM
On the other hand, I think the road to Charleston passes through Ide's neck of the woods, so you have to keep your head on a swivel for a reckless drunk driver that could be coming from any direction.
Be sure to take him to Maurice's.  It's a great place to take a vegetarian out to eat. :blush:

:lol: Dude, I wasn't offended by that.  You wanted to go to Maurice's, you were our guest.  Worst case, I had a less than satisfying meal of banana pudding and french fries, and got to meet a cool guy and cool gal.  It was a good time. :hug:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I did find it funny that you asked about the racism but forgot the dietary stuff though. :P  Tangentially, the racism doesn't bother me.  I mean, I put money into the stream of commerce, I know it's going to end up with someone I hate: racists, rich people, the Chinese...

:hmm:
Kinemalogue

Zanza

I'll be there the last week of June. I'll probably work about 8am - 5.30pm, roughly 35 minutes outside Birmingham. I'll stay in Hoover. I'd gladly go for a bbq.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2014, 01:35:56 PM

Just cuz he's a Kraut he doesn't get the Rican  nipple show? :(

You never know.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall