Tourism destinations near Birmingham (AL) or Atlanta

Started by Zanza, May 06, 2014, 03:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I'll most likely go on a business trip to Birmingham AL in June. I could probably add two or three days and would then probably not fly to Birmingham directly, but perhaps to Atlanta. What tourist destinations are nearby...? Google doesn't show any obvious interesting places to go...

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

In Birmingham they have the governor. Boo-boo-boo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Atlanta's not really a touristy city. I've heard good things about the Aquarium and the Coca Cola museum, never been though. There's an underground mall somewhere. And you can hike up Stone Mountain. I don't know Birmingham real well, went to the circus there once as a kid.

p.s. They "love" the governor. Probably because he's off in Montgomery.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Stone Mountain.  CNN Center.  World of Coca-Cola.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I found the Stone Mountain laser show incredibly cheesy.

I've also heard bad things about the MLK museum.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2014, 07:09:26 AM
I found the Stone Mountain laser show incredibly cheesy.
'MURICA!!! I MEAN... DIXIE!!!! ERR...  :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

The Varsity in Atlanta.

http://www.thevarsity.com/locations.php

Yep, that is all I have for Atlanta.

For 'Bama, Rocket City in Huntsville.

http://www.rocketcenter.com

Remember Z, it's either ROLL TIDE! Or  WAR EAGLE! down there in bama. Don't say BAYERN MUNICH!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Is U of A in Birmingham? 

If so, you should try to crash a frat party.

alfred russel

For gods sake, I don't understand the varsity. Don't make an effort to go. If you end up next to it, the chili or slaw dogs are better alternatives to mcdonald's for fast food.

Your normal tourist attractions in the city:
World of Coke - the coke museum, a bit geared toward kids
Georgia Aquarium - it might be the largest in the US? Not sure.
MLK Center / Ebenezer Baptist Church
The Giant Ferris Wheel - built just a few months ago, our own version of the London Eye. It differs in that Atlanta doesn't quite have the skyline. Also the wheel isn't as nice, and is built in the middle of the city, so the few skyscrapers that we do have impede the views. What you see is one of the most sprawled cities in the world, that covers a large chunk of North Georgia.  :swiss: Most locals think that the ferris wheel is one of the stupidest things ever built.
Underground Atlanta - only mentioning to say not to go there.

Some things that I prefer, in and around the city:
Stone Mountain: This is a place a lot of tourists and locals go for a day out. It is 800 feet, and a rather striking Stone Mountain with a sheer cliff on one side that has pictures of Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E Lee on the side. It has a pleasant walk to the top, or you can take a cable car.
Kennesaw Mountain: I prefer this to Stone Mountain and go a lot. It is a civil war battlefield site, and has a musuem, national park rangers, etc. But the main thing it has going for it is that it is a huge park / wildlife area. Most people just walk to the top of the mountain (700 vertical feet), but you can keep going for the full loop of ~18 miles (after the first 5 miles it is flat so it is a nice walk). I've done it, and would be up for it again. About 15 miles north of Atlanta.
Cyclorama: Next to the zoo, only mentioning because it is the major civil war historical site in Atanta. A really old giant picture of the Battle of Atlanta. Not worth visiting unless you are a major history nerd, but it could be worth a visit if you go to Kennesaw Mountain and want more civil war stuff. Also has a small museum of the civil war in Georgia.
Etowah Indian Mounds: No one ever goes here. It is further north than Kennesaw Mountain, maybe 25 miles north of the city (I've combined with a trip to Kennesaw Mountain--but obviously not when doing the whole loop). Some indian mounds from the Mississippian Culture that was destroyed ~1600. Not nearly as impressive as Cahokia, but interesting.

Okefenokee Swamp - This is a bit of a wildcard, it isn't really anywhere near the city. About 4-5 hours south of Atlanta. Bringing this up because you can rent small boats to self navigate through the swamp. There shores are teeming with alligators. There is an island in the swamp you can walk on that people tried to move to in the 19th century but left when they all started dying of malaria. You can see the remains there. I went through the swamp a long time ago--lots of fun. Bringing up because visiting an American city is sort of ho hum, but this is something you can't replicate in Europe.

Atlanta is the greatest city in the world. It should be a good time.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2014, 08:02:42 AM
Is U of A in Birmingham? 

If so, you should try to crash a frat party.

It is in Tuscaloosa.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I mention the Varsity because I can't think of anything else in Atlanta. Other than die slowly of boredom in the airport.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2014, 08:42:26 AM
UAB probably has frats too though.

The football team may be the group to party with if you are into really freaky stuff:
Brittany Benefield had just turned fifteen years old when she began attending the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) in the Spring of 2000. 2 A gifted student who was recruited by UAB as a result of her academic success, 3 Benefield began her college career younger than most of her classmates, but with the same promise and outlook.

Tragically, Benefield's descent was a rapid one. By December of Benefield's first year at UAB, Benefield had been the alleged victim of numerous sexual assaults by at least twenty-six members of the UAB football team, who had dubbed Benefield their "play thing." 4 During her brief one-year stint at the University, UAB football players who resided in Benefield's dormitory had introduced the minor to drugs, alcohol, and sex.

https://litigation-essentials.lexisnexis.com/webcd/app?action=DocumentDisplay&crawlid=1&doctype=cite&docid=13+Fordham+Intell.+Prop.+Media+%26+Ent.+L.J.+617&srctype=smi&srcid=3B15&key=9bd7fb46919afafd1ad4e24009b8eaef

alfred russel

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2014, 08:48:14 AM
I mention the Varsity because I can't think of anything else in Atlanta. Other than die slowly of boredom in the airport.

Even at the airport they have some time killing exhibits between the early concourses.

It is good that I am hear to think of the things you are missing.  :)