News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Television Series Cancelled Too Early?

Started by Queequeg, May 01, 2014, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Man from Atlantis could have gone a few more seasons.

Queequeg

I loved Cupid with Paula Marshall and Jeremy Piven.  Still holds up. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

sbr

Man from Atlantis just caused a serious flashback. :lol:

Sheilbh

Rome.

The BBC were mad to cancel Ripper Street, but it's been picked up by Amazon.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I just remembered the classic case of a show cancelled too early:

Police Squad!

Those are six really funny episodes of comedy...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2014, 11:26:20 PM
I just remembered the classic case of a show cancelled too early:

Police Squad!

Those are six really funny episodes of comedy...

That show suffered from being too intelligent for TV audiences, who needed the attention span necessary to appreciate it like Airplane![/] in a movie theater.

Syt

As a kid I was disappointed that Pirates of Dark Water was cut short.

About Firefly: in just 14 episodes they managed to create very memorable characters with complex relationships among each other and a lot of mystery (What's with Blue Sun? Who are the Hands of Blue? What exactly was done with River, and are there more like her? What's with Book? Why did someone like Inara throw in her lot with this motley crew? Etc. - some of that gets answered in Whedon's comic books, like Book's backstory).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Firefly is the obvious answer.
I've just read a show I enjoy called Hello Ladies isn't getting a second series either :(
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 02:43:42 AM
Twin Peaks.

No.

Season one of Twin Peaks was among some of the best TV produced by U.S. networks.
But by mid-season two, it, well certainly, peaked.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2014, 06:10:46 AM
No.

Season one of Twin Peaks was among some of the best TV produced by U.S. networks.

Agreed.  By its nature, Twin Peaks was unsustainable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2014, 06:10:46 AM
Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 02:43:42 AM
Twin Peaks.

No.

I re-watched that one and "Rome" recently. I feel both ended too quickly. But, yeah, there was a certain degree of craziness about the second series. And not always good crazy.

"Carnivale" could've done with a third series.