News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Television Series Cancelled Too Early?

Started by Queequeg, May 01, 2014, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:32:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2014, 11:46:12 AM
Uhh yeah.

Firefly
Arrested Development
Deadwood
The Crazy Ones
Dead Like me

Using the criteria that Fox uses to make its decisions, Seinfeld would not have had a second season.

Rome.

It needed at least one more season, and should have gotten one.  HBO did not realize what they had until it was too late.

Didn't most sets burn shortly after season 2 was wrapped? That would have made a third season a bit difficult.

11B4V

Uhh yeah.

Firefly:

+1 Shame on that one. Yet shit like Babylon 5 survived.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2014, 12:36:37 PM
Didn't most sets burn shortly after season 2 was wrapped? That would have made a third season a bit difficult.

HBO already cancelled the series so...yeah.  They rushed through seasons worth of story in one and ended the series, before they realized they were making tons of money off the DVD sales on season 1.  It was too late then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:38:06 PM

HBO already cancelled the series so...yeah.  They rushed through seasons worth of story in one and ended the series, before they realized they were making tons of money off the DVD sales on season 1.  It was too late then.

Yeah, season 2 is stupidly rushed. It's a pity, such a fascinating material to work from.

11B4V

Uhh yeah.

Deadwood

While I loved this series and binged watched the entire thing, I'm glad it stopped when it did.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 01, 2014, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2014, 11:44:38 AM
Unneed answer : Farscape.

Do you mean Firefly? Farscape had 4 or 5 seasons.

Farscape was cancelled at the end of the fourth season, a season that ended with a cliffhanger; although they got to make a miniseries to resolve said cliffhanger forcing a full season's worth of story arc into a two part mini-series did not have ideal results. Far from it.

And I'll also third or whatever Firefly; that's a series that deserved a good long run. The lead characters had one of the most fascinating group dynamics I've seen.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

They destroyed the sets, yes.  The show was just too expensive to continue to make.  Lots of prime examples of poor decision-making in the story of Rome's financial decision-making.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

In any case it was the most successful historical show this side of Band of Brothers and it was tragic it only got two seasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DontSayBanana

Fox canned Almost Human because it was more expensive than The Following. :(

That was a total shame.  I enjoyed getting weekly homages to Blade Runner. :weep:
Experience bij!

KRonn

I can't think of a series that I wished wasn't cancelled but lately I've gotten a lot more into more TV shows. So now there are quite a few TV series that I like, and hoping they don't get cancelled, but a couple probably will be.

Really liking:
Game of Thrones
The Blacklist
The Americans
Arrow
The 100
Revolution

Waiting for The Bridge to start up again this summer.

grumbler

Firefly, for sure.

Crusade had a lot of good things going for it.

The real lost gem, though, was Odyssey 5.  Better-written than Crusade, better-acted than Firefly.  I still am not completely sure what the story was about.

Another lost gem (though a better-known one) was American Gothic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 01, 2014, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2014, 11:44:38 AM
Unneed answer : Farscape.

Do you mean Firefly? Farscape had 4 or 5 seasons.

I'd add Freaks and Geeks and Arrested Development.

No but Firefly is a good candidate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Firefly was ridiculously badly managed by Fox.  I would like to say I never watch Fox because I am still bitter but it is mainly because their shows are generally shit.

celedhring

I resisted watching Firefly for several years because I knew I'd love it and it would piss me off to see it cut so early. It did.