And we're back!

Main Menu

Television Series Cancelled Too Early?

Started by Queequeg, May 01, 2014, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 03:42:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2014, 03:32:35 PM
I dont understand the fascination with Firefly.  I stopped watching it after the episode when they were doing a train heist of some sort (one of the first as I recall). Western themes with Western accents in a sci fi show really turned me off the show.

I watched the movie on TV at some point. It was a bit better.

So you stopped after the second episode?  The movie is not as good as most of the series.

Like I said, it really turned me off.  Cowboys in space yippee.  The movie was a lot better than that episode.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
Like I said, it really turned me off.  Cowboys in space yippee.  The movie was a lot better than that episode.

Yes I heard you the first time.  Anyway the series is not cowboys in space.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

That particular episode was made specifically at the network's request as a replacement pilot.  It sucked, and deliberately so; the network wanted to cancel and needed bad ratings to justify cancelling.

The thing the TV show had going for it was the dialogue (I think Whedon does the best dialogue-writing in the business).  That episode showed none of that strength, and the movie much too little of it.  The movie was an attempt to do an action movie, and Whedon is crappy at writing action (how many times does he stop action with deus-ex-machina crap?  60% of the time? 70%?) and bad at directing action.  The TV show is well-paced for the kinds of writing he is strongest at.  Some of the plots are dumb, but you won't mind.  It's good stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on May 01, 2014, 03:45:46 PM
Actually that was the first aired episode.  The original pilot wasn't aired until after the series had been cancelled.

Wasn't aware of that. Weird decision since the pilot explains a lot of important stuff, particularly the business with the Tam brothers.

grumbler

Oh, and as for
QuoteI dont understand the fascination with Firefly
, of course you don't.  You've only seen one episode.  Only an idiot a very, very silly person would expect to understand what people like about a show after only seeing one episode.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 04:59:44 PM

That particular episode was made specifically at the network's request as a replacement pilot.  It sucked, and deliberately so; the network wanted to cancel and needed bad ratings to justify cancelling.

The thing the TV show had going for it was the dialogue (I think Whedon does the best dialogue-writing in the business).  That episode showed none of that strength, and the movie much too little of it.  The movie was an attempt to do an action movie, and Whedon is crappy at writing action (how many times does he stop action with deus-ex-machina crap?  60% of the time? 70%?) and bad at directing action.  The TV show is well-paced for the kinds of writing he is strongest at.  Some of the plots are dumb, but you won't mind.  It's good stuff.

Then I regret giving up on it after the first episode.  I wonder if I can watch it on netflix?  I will check it out over the weekend.

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 01:05:49 PM
The real lost gem, though, was Odyssey 5.  Better-written than Crusade, better-acted than Firefly.  I still am not completely sure what the story was about.

Good call.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2014, 03:32:35 PM
I dont understand the fascination with Firefly.  I stopped watching it after the episode when they were doing a train heist of some sort (one of the first as I recall). Western themes with Western accents in a sci fi show really turned me off the show.

I watched the movie on TV at some point. It was a bit better.

That was the first episode aired.  :P

Which was a problem, because they were aired out of order and nobody knew anything about anyone in the show or the setting or anything that they would have learned from the first episode.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2014, 05:28:17 PM
That was the first episode aired.  :P

Which was a problem, because they were aired out of order and nobody knew anything about anyone in the show or the setting or anything that they would have learned from the first episode.

Those were problems, but pale against the fact that the new pilot was written in a weekend and subsequently sucked.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Terriers sucked donkey dick. Oh Spellus.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Queequeg

Anyone remember a mid-90s American Psycho inspired Fox drama called Profit?  It's really great, predicted the whole antihero Sopranos thing.  Only ran for about 8 episodes. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Too bad the Trio cable channel went under. You would have liked it Spellus.