News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gerry Adams arrested

Started by Sheilbh, May 01, 2014, 01:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I may have started to take the piss at a certain point in this thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 10:36:00 AM
From my reading of the article, Adams presented himself at the police station in Antrim after the warrant for his arrest went out. No foolish loitering in the wrong side of the border, no cross border raids; he was wanted and he gave himself up.

Yes.  I just presumed the arrest was issued and he turned himself in because he was a NI citizen.  But I guess when you have two countries that small  side by side on an Island the normally very large issue of international borders is not as big of a thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:27:00 PM
From my reading of the article, Adams presented himself at the police station in Antrim after the warrant for his arrest went out. No foolish loitering in the wrong side of the border, no cross border raids; he was wanted and he gave himself up.

Yes.  I just presumed the arrest was issued and he turned himself in because he was a NI citizen.  But I guess when you have two countries that small  side by side on an Island the normally very large issue of international borders is not as big of a thing.

Well, both of them are in the EU so border crossings aren't that big a deal.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

Probably more a matter than extradition within the EU is not that difficult to obtain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2014, 11:09:29 AM
:huh:

It's the honourable thing to do.

If every accused did this you would be overloaded with work.  Is it really honorable to stress the poor Crown Prosecutors so?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 12:28:01 PM

That would normally be so but I thought the British and Irish were weird about that whole Schengen thing.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:28:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2014, 11:09:29 AM
:huh:

It's the honourable thing to do.

If every accused did this you would be overloaded with work.  Is it really honorable to stress the poor Crown Prosecutors so?

What's stressful is getting a file with a 40 year old offence date, then then waits another 10 years before it comes to court due to an accused being on the lam.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
That would normally be so but I thought the British and Irish were weird about that whole Schengen thing.
There used to be military checkpoints on the border due to paramilitaries - when Schengen was created and even when it became part of the EU framework.

Now there's not even a sign at most crossings to say when you're leaving one country and entering the other. The UK is far more dubious about Schengen than Ireland, but I think the British position makes sense. As it is both countries have an opt-out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 12:28:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Ah ok I did not know about that.  Damn the EU is complicated.

mongers

You can travel without a passport, between and in the UK and Ireland if you're an Irish or UK citizen respectively.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on May 01, 2014, 02:19:18 PM
You can travel without a passport, between and in the UK and Ireland if you're an Irish or UK citizen respectively.   :bowler:

How do they know?  :huh:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

Who is 'they'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

The two have a common border agreement. You can't get onto the islands as a non citizen without a passport.

I understand that causes some problems for longer term visitors. The time they spend in Ireland and the UK is cumulative because they don't get passport stamps when traveling between the two.

Also it is why Ireland and the UK aren't in Schengen. The UK is more skeptic of Schengen, saying why should we do away with our own migration checks when we are an island? Ireland is saying that they support Schengen, but that they need to stay in alliance with the UK on migration controls or else border checks will be put in place on their island.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Scipio

Not Gerry Adams! He seemed so normal to me. Just a quiet lad who loved his mom and blowing up Protestants.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt