News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 30, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Yes--Spend it all before you die.
8 (25%)
No--Parents have a responsibility to leave their kids more than they had to start.
24 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 32

PDH

Billy and Susie should have gotten their STEM degrees and good jobs instead of slacking around and working in Mom and Dad's coffee shop learning to draw roses in the Latte.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 06:06:14 PM
Whoever runs the shop will pay income taxes and sales taxes and whatnot.  If Billy and Susie, or anyone else, sells the shop, they will pay capital gains taxes.  Since the government is getting money from the estate under my proposal, though, all of those federal tax burdens will be less because the federal government will have to raise less money outside the estate tax regime.

Ah but there is an interest for everyone that assets stay in the hands of smallholders rather than going to the rich. IMO, that means the tax structure should reflect that and not make it harder for the smallholders to keep it. If you don't believe that, then fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm sure Blackstone will be happy to buy up your house when you die in several centuries. Just don't will it to them directly because they probably have ways to avoid the taxes.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I have several elaborate treasure maps that lead to ED ANGER'S SILVER.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 01, 2014, 06:21:22 PM
Ah but there is an interest for everyone that assets stay in the hands of smallholders rather than going to the rich. IMO, that means the tax structure should reflect that and not make it harder for the smallholders to keep it. If you don't believe that, then fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm sure Blackstone will be happy to buy up your house when you die in several centuries. Just don't will it to them directly because they probably have ways to avoid the taxes.  :P

:lol:  Dude, the rich can't pass along their wealth to their kids under my scheme, either.  I don't know why you would believe that a $500,000 share of a $200 million estate makes someone "rich" while poor Billy and Susue are poor because they only have a $500,000 cut each of a $2 million estate.

And I don't know anyone named Blackstone and don't care if he or she buys my house when I am dead.  That dog just won't hunt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I plan to be a vengeful ghost if I have descendants.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 06:33:48 PM
And I don't know anyone named Blackstone and don't care if he or she buys my house when I am dead.  That dog just won't hunt.

Pretty sure Blackstone is a company, not a dog.

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2014, 10:27:56 PM
Well, there's only two possible answers, so that's fair.

NOt really.

I don't think parents should spend it all before they die. Nor do I think they need to leave them more than they had. There must be an inbetween.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2014, 07:05:31 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2014, 10:27:56 PM
Well, there's only two possible answers, so that's fair.

NOt really.

I don't think parents should spend it all before they die. Nor do I think they need to leave them more than they had. There must be an inbetween.

A point between "leave nothing" and "leave more than you started with"?

Hmm... what could that be?

Josephus

oK...maybe I misunderstand the question then.  :blush:

never mind carry on....

although I do find this a bit ambiguous

Parents have a responsibility to leave their kids more than they had to start.

than who had to start? The parents?The Kids? Start what?

I took it to mean parents should leave their kids more than THEY, the parents had, when they started out as grown ups.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

It seems pretty simple Jo Jo.

You inherit 100K.  You're supposed to leave more than 100K to your offspring.

Though Mimsy forgot to factor in inflation.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 06:37:24 PM

Why should I fear that some company I have never heard of will want to buy my house several centuries from now?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 07:45:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 06:37:24 PM

Why should I fear that some company I have never heard of will want to buy my house several centuries from now?

Because you'll likely still be alive?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 07:14:46 PM
A point between "leave nothing" and "leave more than you started with"?

Hmm... what could that be?

A point between "spend it all" and "parents have a responsibility."  What if they have no such responsibility and they also don't spend it all?  Or if they have a responsibility and spend it all anyway?  There are lots of spaces between the apples and the oranges.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2014, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 07:45:39 PM

Because you'll likely still be alive?

And...???

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
It seems pretty simple Jo Jo.

You inherit 100K.  You're supposed to leave more than 100K to your offspring.

Though Mimsy forgot to factor in inflation.
What if I inherit 100 K and leave half and spend half.? Can I do that for my kids?

Obviously I'm missing somehting. Not sure why it's black and white, either, or.