News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 30, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should every generation have to "start over"?

Yes--Spend it all before you die.
8 (25%)
No--Parents have a responsibility to leave their kids more than they had to start.
24 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 32

MadImmortalMan

I keep a painting over my desk in my office ay home. It's an oil painting done in days of yore of a large brick house. The house in particular was built long ago in central Pennsylvania, near Altoona. It was built by my great*X (I'm not sure) grandfather and was in the family for several generations. It was kinda like our Walton's Mountain. This was before I was born. My grandfather was the last one I knew who ever lived there. Eventually, it came down through inheritance, blah blah etc. The last one who owned it rented it out to try and pay the taxes and the renters burned it down for insurance money. It's been gone for 20 years now. I think the last owner was one of my grandfather's older brothers.

Anyway, one of the main problems I have with my family in the modern era is that each generation has to basically start over from scratch. Or negative, in some cases. I keep the painting there so I can see it every day and motivate myself to leave the world with more than I started with. In my case, if I leave the next generation nothing and no debts I will technically succeed, but I'm hoping for something a little better than that.

My parents' generation (boomers) all are planning to go out broke. The popular thing with all their financial planning people seems to be to make sure you spend it all before you go.

Now, it's easy for me to say with moral conviction that that's evil, considering the hand I was dealt, even though I can understand why one would want to do it. Just as it's probably easy for somebody who got a nice inheritance from their parents to say it's better for everyone to start fresh each generation. They, after all, will never have to actually worry about it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I vote yes, but only since you frame your story around material wealth.

Parents should work to leave wealth to their children in the form of love, education, character, extended family, good connections, safety, support, etc. Each generation can naturally grow money themselves from all those advantages.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Voted no, though I don't think it's a responsibility really. Personally, I'd like to leave a patrimony for my kid(s).

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Pretty limited voting options. Not even a jaron.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2014, 09:47:01 PM
Voted no, though I don't think it's a responsibility really. Personally, I'd like to leave a patrimony for my kid(s).

Yeah I voted no even though I disagree with the rest of that option choice. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Well, there's only two possible answers, so that's fair.

I guess the corollary question would be do you think children have a responsibility to take care of their parents once they can't work anymore. The one implies the other.

You guys know I support my mother in various ways, so my opinion is at least coherent and consistent.

Ideologue

Quote from: MIMMy parents' generation (boomers) all are planning to go out broke. The popular thing with all their financial planning people seems to be to make sure you spend it all before you go.

I believe it. <_<

My parents are pretty cool, I'll get some money when they pass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2014, 08:41:52 PMThe last one who owned it rented it out to try and pay the taxes and the renters burned it down for insurance money. It's been gone for 20 years now.
Wouldn't the insurance go to the owner?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2014, 11:45:57 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2014, 08:41:52 PMThe last one who owned it rented it out to try and pay the taxes and the renters burned it down for insurance money. It's been gone for 20 years now.
Wouldn't the insurance go to the owner?

Renter's insurance. I doubt the owner had any tbh. I do know the renter went to jail for fraud over it though.

Valmy

Since we seem to be moving into an era where money if the main way to make money it would seem by doing so you would be damning your children to slave away in the lower classes.  I have definitely been thinking about this, if labor continues to be devalued and the gap between the rich and the poor continues to widen I sure as hell want to get my family on the winning side of that equation.  But hopefully by the time I die that problem will be licked.

I am not sure it is the parent's responsibility though.  Every parent leaves a rich legacy, it may not be a material one.  Hopefully it will be a positive one either way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."