5 stunning things about America's prison system

Started by Ideologue, April 29, 2014, 08:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2014, 11:34:27 AM
Some of his facts are correct, and outrage is certainly justified.  What isn't justified is making shit up to try to make the story even more "stunning."

I can agree with this, grumbler.

Feels kind of weird.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2014, 12:10:13 PM
I don't think one has to be particularly emotional to think it is a bad idea to jude a rape victim ho has been raped many times.

That said, are you saying in this new post that your first post was just a crass way of stating your incredulity at the facts being thrown out?

a few months ago my roommate drank a few shots, four mixed drinks, and a beer or two on an empty stomach and blacked out. she woke up and discovered she slept with a guy. she filed rape charges against him because at one point during the night she remembered he touched her drink, therefore thinking she had been drugged. i told this story to a female friend of mine, and my friend judged my roommate. this might be an extreme example, but there are other instances where i've seen women say, "she should have been more careful," etc. women judge female rape victims all the time. this happens quite often, even if it isn't kosher

no, i believed his claim. there's no reason for me not to

Quote from: Otto von BismarckIs there really a meaningful difference between being raped by 18 people over 9 months vs 27?

is there a meaningful difference between someone being raped by one or two people over nine months vs 27? i think so

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 30, 2014, 11:38:57 AM
It's not really accurate to call prisoners slave labor, though. Every prison system I'm familiar with getting to do any of those jobs is actually a privilege for the better behaved prisoners and they work to avoid infractions to get the opportunity to do those jobs.

My understanding is it's not just limited to license plates, but the reason it often is license plates is they are something that is very strictly not used in interstate commerce. My understanding is the low wages for prison workers would violate minimum wage laws if they worked on something that was part of interstate commerce (I'm fine with being corrected on that one if it isn't true.)

It's a great bit more than license plates - data and document conversion services, linens and mattresses, industrial products and storage solutions, call centres, furniture, solar panels and electronics recycling, signs, eyewear, apparel manufacturing (I believe they supply upwards of 90% of American military uniforms, for example).

You can check out the services offered here: https://www.unicor.gov/

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on April 30, 2014, 12:52:21 PM
is there a meaningful difference between someone being raped by one or two people over nine months vs 27? i think so

At 27 times I'm guessing you're probably considered an easy target.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2014, 12:56:43 PM
It's a great bit more than license plates - data and document conversion services, linens and mattresses, industrial products and storage solutions, call centres, furniture, solar panels and electronics recycling, signs, eyewear, apparel manufacturing (I believe they supply upwards of 90% of American military uniforms, for example).

All of those potential products are for federal government agency purchase only and produced in federal prisons only.  The license plate thing is for state-run prisons.  Two totally different jurisdictions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2014, 12:58:21 PM

At 27 times I'm guessing you're probably considered an easy target.

Person != time.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2014, 01:07:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2014, 12:56:43 PM

All of those potential products are for federal government agency purchase only and produced in federal prisons only.  The license plate thing is for state-run prisons.  Two totally different jurisdictions.

Ah, I see. I missed that distinction.

Jacob

Business Insider article on clothing manufacturers losing contracts to FPI/Unicor and having to lay off workers as a result: http://www.businessinsider.com/corporate-prison-labor-is-forcing-small-businesses-to-close-factories-2012-9

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2014, 01:13:55 PM
Ah, I see. I missed that distinction.

That's because Kerrigan was disguising the distinction to try to spread the false belief that there is this 'prison-industrial complex' that uses prisoner slave labor to produce all kinds of products, incidentally putting millions of deserving Americans out of work.  He wants us to be stunned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2014, 12:10:13 PM
I don't think one has to be particularly emotional to think it is a bad idea to jude a rape victim ho has been raped many times.

That said, are you saying in this new post that your first post was just a crass way of stating your incredulity at the facts being thrown out?

a few months ago my roommate drank a few shots, four mixed drinks, and a beer or two on an empty stomach and blacked out. she woke up and discovered she slept with a guy. she filed rape charges against him because at one point during the night she remembered he touched her drink, therefore thinking she had been drugged. i told this story to a female friend of mine, and my friend judged my roommate. this might be an extreme example, but there are other instances where i've seen women say, "she should have been more careful," etc. women judge female rape victims all the time. this happens quite often, even if it isn't kosher

no, i believed his claim. there's no reason for me not to

I don't see how those examples have any bearing on this discussion. Those are all a far cry from judging someone who has been raped 27 times - unless you are questioning whether those rapes actually occurred. Generally though stating "what a bitch" is an odd way to do that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Prison labor when its products are for the benefit of government arguably is good for the economy because it reduces the need for revenue to support the prison and/or the purchases of the products/services in question. Government spending can be stimulative sure, but it's no replacement for demand from the private markets and you can't just use government expenditures to make an economy work in the long term.

I'm not sure that offsetting some of the very high expense of housing an inmate by utilizing them as cheap labor to produce products for the government is a net negative for the economy even if it does result in some private sector layoffs. Those private sector jobs were ultimately dependent on high government outlays and were thus probably more akin to parasitic positions than actual productive ones.

Razgovory

I'm curious, is Ide of the opinion he should have simply been executed?  Cause we can still do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

I was curious enough to research it...apparently the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) doesn't cover prisoners. So that is the first reason they aren't paid Federal minimum wage.

However, the Ashurst–Sumners Act, passed in 1935 specifically to get rid of prison monopolies on various government contracts, bans outright the interstate shipment of convict made goods. This is the primary reason license plates were so common, they are manufactured and "sold" all within State. Since the act only prohibits crossing interstate lines with the products for sale, just driving them across the border on a car isn't the same thing.

The Act did provide exemptions for various products and also allowed for an exemption where the product was being sold to the Federal Government, a not-for-profit, or another State or Local government.

In 1979 there was another Act that added some more exemptions, and also allowed for the direct sale of regular goods in interstate commerce but with the stipulation that prisoners used in the manufacture of those products must be paid a "prevailing wage" (not the Federal minimum wage, but the prevailing wage would often be higher.) Due to that requirement almost no prison goods are produced under that exemption as almost no prison wants to pay a prevailing wage, but there are some exceptions. I believe the call center prisoners may fall into that category.

The Minsky Moment

Interesting.  Didn't know about Ashurst-Summers, that makes sense now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Thanks Otto. That's somewhat less dire than I've been led to believe, but not exactly ideal either.