John Kerry: Israel Risks Becoming An Apartheid State

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2014, 01:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on April 30, 2014, 05:45:02 PM
Israel is something only you Americans are fond of.

What exactly does it mean to be 'fond' of Israel?  I just want the Palestinian-Israeli thing to be handled reasonably peacefully and everybody not murder each other over religious nuttery. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2014, 06:05:37 PM
He's our senior diplomat.
In Europe the top diplomat would be the head of the foreign service. Diplomats are civil servants, foreign ministers are politicians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2014, 01:23:44 AM
In Europe the top diplomat would be the head of the foreign service. Diplomats are civil servants, foreign ministers are politicians.

Well we do things a bit differently.  Very few of our diplomats are actual civil servants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 01:20:25 AM
Quote from: Norgy on April 30, 2014, 05:45:02 PM
Israel is something only you Americans are fond of.

What exactly does it mean to be 'fond' of Israel?  I just want the Palestinian-Israeli thing to be handled reasonably peacefully and everybody not murder each other over religious nuttery. 

Well, the Euros don't agree.  Since they are glowing balls of light, they must be correct.  Or overly full of themselves.  One or the other.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 01:30:08 AM
Well we do things a bit differently.  Very few of our diplomats are actual civil servants.

The vast, vast majority of our diplomats are members of the Foreign Service.  Not the Ambassadors, but pretty much everyone else in the embassy bar support staff and the Marines.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2014, 06:49:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 01:30:08 AM

The vast, vast majority of our diplomats are members of the Foreign Service.  Not the Ambassadors, but pretty much everyone else in the embassy bar support staff and the Marines.

You are right I meant the ambassadors :blush:

dps

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2014, 01:20:25 AM
What exactly does it mean to be 'fond' of Israel? 

It means you don't reflexively parrot the PLO line (aka the Guardian, Le Monde, etc.) because that is what all the cool euro kids are doing.
He's right, it is true that Americans tend to be free of that particular mental derangement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

In the US you would have to go rather deep into the State Department hierarchy before getting to a non-appointed official.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2014, 11:35:13 AM

In the US you would have to go rather deep into the State Department hierarchy before getting to a non-appointed official.

Yeah, but a lot of those positions are administrative or sinecures rather than actually being diplomats per s.

derspiess

Semi-related, I just realized a local icon of ours recently got de-jewified.  They took the Star of David off his hat and I swear they made his nose smaller :(

Here's what he looks like now:

Was kind of hard to find an older logo, but this is the best I could find of the "before":

Corned beef sandwich & potato pancake are still tasty, at least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Man I love deli sandwiches.  Ever since Katz's Deli on west 6th street closed in 2010 it is like impossible to get good sandwiches in Austin anymore.  I eat the turkey Rueben at my local bar but it is a poor substitute.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2014, 12:00:01 PM
Semi-related, I just realized a local icon of ours recently got de-jewified.  They took the Star of David off his hat and I swear they made his nose smaller :(

Here's what he looks like now:

Was kind of hard to find an older logo, but this is the best I could find of the "before":

Corned beef sandwich & potato pancake are still tasty, at least.

To be honest, I think that the circle part of the logo and the banner underneath look better than the old logo, but they didn't need to change the guy's appearance.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius